82nd Airborne Unit sign

Nkumburis

Good Evening,

I was able to search through a veterans attic the past two days and found a sign which I believe is from the 82nd Airborne. Can anyone give more information about this sign? Thank you. - Nick K

post-153882-0-47919400-1440034333.jpg

Interesting sign ...

In my day CCF was for Charlie's Chicken Farm aka Central Correctional Facility and every major post has at least one. Never spent any time at Ft Bragg, but your assumption seems reasonable.

Peter

I did some more looking and CCF is now called 'Central Custody Facility'. I did find that a CCF is created for and serves a Divisional command so its probably safe to assume that it is for the 82nd. I could not find anything definitive as to when the name CCF came into use.

I found this old Master's Thesis (http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA128007) but it is focused on the history of the Kansas facility. The paper does say that the Correctional Training Concept was implemented in 1968. This appears to be the first time the Correctional term was used which I would assume is also when CCF came into use.

Again this not definitive and somebody else may have additional information as to the use of the abbreviation during WW2. Given the stylistic approach to the sign, I would guess it before 1990. By then signs became more mundane except for Unit signs that were highly stylistic.

With all that said, what kind of material is the sign? Any holes or brackets for hanging the sign? Any signs of brush strokes? Is the white paint in different shades?

Peter

Charlie's Chicken Farm, sort of a 1st step between the unit and you going to the post stockade or USDB Leavenworth. Usually sent there as part of an Article 15 punishment not a court martial.

2AD's in the 80's was right across from the 502nd replacement det @ Fort Hood no fence around it, you crossed the line you went right into the stockade

Thanks for the info guys, Peter the sign is wood and has two O shaped screws at the top. Im not home right now when I get back on Monday I will provide more details. - Nick K

I believe ccf at ft.bragg was run by the18th abn. corps in the 1980's, thats not much help to you but at least you know it's older than that. I had to work there for 45 days of special duty from the 82nd, I didn't like it much more than the "correctees" did.

• 1 month later...

I was at Ft Bragg from 1983 to 1986 in A co, 2/504th Abn Inf. . CCF is what has been described. They marched around post with numbers on their helmets and a pistol belt with canteen. They did post details, mostly picking up litter. I know one guy that had to go there rather than take a courts martial, he said they went through the obstacle course daily and it was one tough son of a bitch to be there. He never went back and was a fine troop after his experience. Not a place you would want to go through.