corsair from willow grove nas

scottplen

Scott, they also had a large number of old aircraft on display there for years too, some Japanese ones specifically, I think in the end some went to Air & Space and some were scraped, some went to other museums too maybe?

Back in the 1970's the writers of Air Classics magazine used to lament the poor state the Navy allowed many of those old aircraft to end up in.

That is a great pic you posted tho!

Mike, I don't believe any of the museum aircraft were actually scrapped. That is a rumor that has circulated for some time.

It's hard to piece together, but if you search enough of the internet sites, it appears they were all accounted for. (The one exception might be a Zero fighter that appears to be a mystery.) At least the ones that used to be displayed along the fence line.

But being left out in the winter in Pennsylvania was definitely not very good for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch, that Rex is in pretty rough shape. Don't think I've ever seen pix of it before. Thanks for sharing those images,Ski.

Terry

More importantly is that it is complete. You can never underestimate the fortune of a complete airframe! These aircraft fared far better than the poor tanks at Aberdeen. That,I can tell you, was a travesty.

-Ski