WWII mountain rucksack used in Vietnam?

wclracer64

Anyone have solid info or photos of the WWII

Mountain rucksack being used in Vietnam?

Any help is appreciated!

Bill

It makes sense (as I knew a 'Nam Ranger who said he used a BAR belt for his M-14 mags) but its something I never would have thought of...

You really can learn something new every day!

• 2 weeks later...

I recall there being a 50s dated version of the pack.You will see early SF wearing the rucks as well.

I have one in darker olive drab.Will have to see if its manufacturer marked or dated.

original.jpg

Very interesting picture. This likely 1st Brigade/101st by the full color US Army and badges (the entire Div kept wearing full color 101st for a long time). 1st Brigade went over in 1965, the rest of the 101st not until 1967. All of them deployed from Ft. Campbell....and to this day one of the old-line surplus shops outside the gate has a rather large stack of unissued WWII mountain ruck frames......I'm wondering if there is a connection here or just a coincidence. Thanks for posting this pic.

Most, if not all, of the photos show the M1952 Mountain Rucksack and not the WWII pattern. The later one was darker OD7 and had leather closure straps on all the pockets and the main flap instead of the cotton web used on the WWII type.

Garandomatic

I gotta check mine, but it is WWII dated and has leather straps on all of the pockets, though the flap straps are canvas, if I recall.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Concernedfuturedogface

So I have what I think is an m1952, but I could be wrong, could be an earlier version. A weird thingy is it has no markings, and the closure straps are OD green cotton duck, and not the tan colored I see in photos of them. I'll post pictures whenever I can, I'm in college right not and it's back at home. Any ideas from my description

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk