Unknown Artillery Projectile

Sully

This came into the store this morning. Price was right so I took a chance on it.

No markings other than a number "8" on the base of the round.

Measures approx 9 1/2 inches tall and approx 3 1/2 in diameter (88-90mm).

Anybody have an idea?

post-131982-0-80714200-1439756197.jpg

Base and nose. The round is very heavy 25+ pounds. It was an explosive shell, on the inside is a tube, either aluminum or stainless and at the nose a primer can be seen.

post-131982-0-24831000-1439756596.jpg

post-131982-0-08464600-1439756608.jpg

hi sully.......in 50+years of collecting ordnance,i must say i am stumped.at first glance i thought civil war,however the shape of the base tells me no.also for the size 25+lbs seems quiet heavy for a hollow explosive type round.there were a lot of experimental cartridges through the years,i"m thinking in that direction..........dave

hi sully.......in 50+years of collecting ordnance,i must say i am stumped.at first glance i thought civil war,however the shape of the base tells me no.also for the size 25+lbs seems quiet heavy for a hollow explosive type round.there were a lot of experimental cartridges through the years,i"m thinking in that direction..........dave

I'm also wondering if it might be a tracer and not an HE. The internal tube is only about 3/4 of an inch and there is no fuse, timer, or place for a detonator at the nose.

the more i look at it,the way the base is configured i'm wondering if it could be an early rocket war head............dave

• 3 months later...

It's a head off of a Vietnam to now era 25 pound practice bomb, it's missing the shaft and fins which where sheet metal. I think it's name is MK-76 hope this helps. The hole in the nose was for a smoke or flash bang thing, so when it hit they could see it.