HGU-55/P shell for the T-Birds: the correct thing?

BlueBookGuy

Hi,

after airbrushing so many helmets for collectors (who asked for repros of otherwise impossible-to-find particular specimens) along the years, I've decided to have one for myself to be made at my best possible. It would be the first one, till now I was not attracted by having on the shelf a reproduction even if showing great in every details but shortly ago, it happened that at least one of most colorful and famous should be.

Patience if not the real thing..

It will be the current Thunderbirds' helmet and those I made for customers were all HGU-2/AP or HGU/26/P procured by them in more or less pristine conditions; thus the classic shell (I guess HGU-22/P) with that very thick sponge/black leather edgepadding, and EEK-4 visor kit identical to Navy's ones for their -33/P.

Helmet for myself I wish to be the very best also for the least details and so I wondered about a curiosity I heard from a Swiss collector years ago, I told me what I and who knows how many other didn't learn,

this is, Thunderbirds helmet's shell should actually be the HGU-55/P shell, not the HGU-22/P - even less so, of course, the Navy PRK-37/P (this I already knew). According to him this nothing less than since the very early introduction of HGU-55/P in USAF service.

This would take the time, if I'm not wrong, back to 1983 or 1984? Aside for this, I'd like to know from any of members who can confirm this. Not impossible for me obtaining a full complete HGU-55/P with the latest all-black leather (or similar) padding wich does include in it the earphones. As for the required modifying for EEK-4/P I'll somehow do that with the least of messing - pretty sure about.

If not, or having a precise confirm of the contrary I'll go on a easier HGU-26/P. Thanks for any new infos or imputs!

Franco.

Thanks!

Interesting about the Blues? I'd swear at least they were using the classic Navy shell PRK-37/P. Just for curiosity, can anyone confirm T-bird did have the -55/P shell since its very introduction or switched to it somewhere in late '80s or early '90s?