Mmmmmmm....BACON

doyler

Local monthly fleamarket find.Saw it last month but the seller had packed up early.Said he would return in August.

Was able to purchase it today.Not a big find but never seem to see the WW2 crates often(or at all).Typically see all the commecial ammo,dynamite ones,fruit and produce crates.Was at a large fleamarket friday that I hae attended over the years.A couple hundred crates there but never came across an ration crates

post-342-0-09639700-1439703023.jpg

post-342-0-38632500-1439703065.jpg

hbtcoveralls

THAT is fantastic! Nice score. I found a canned peaches crate at a local Flea mkt last year but the Bacon crate is in a league of it's own. Now if you only had the canned bacon, Yummy

Tom Bowers

Patchcollector

That is too cool.I can only imagine that that crate was the first one emptied by the Troops. :)
Bacon is my all time favorite treat.That,and dark chocolate.Recently I was at a popular local Italian deli that is known for their unusual and exotic delicacies and saw dark chocolate covered bacon.A match made in heaven!

It's Sunday,and that means BLT's for lunch at my house.There's one sitting on the dining room table right now,calling to me...

• 1 month later...

The Cresent moon goes back to the American Civil war (as far as I know for US military use) and it designated Commissary and sustenance items.Some place I read it was adopted by the allied nations in WW1 to designate sustenance and food stuffs no matter what the language on the container(s).the i also a Cresen mon cllar insignia worn in WW1 for the Commissa Corps

In the Navy you will see it as part of the rank or rate and can be for cook,baker or worn by steward as well if I recall correctly.

Datil_Mountain_Muse

Thanks doyler, for some reason I never noticed it when I was in the NAvy, but then again, I was on the aviation side.

General Apathy

What is the meaning of the crescent moon on the crate? I've never seen them before.

post-344-0-23385000-1444296818.jpg

Hi Ron & Robin, nice crates . . . . .

Hi Mountain-muse, here's the page featuring the crescent from the crates and carton marking manual 1943.

Lewis.

Local monthly fleamarket find.Saw it last month but the seller had packed up early.Said he would return in August.

Was able to purchase it today.Not a big find but never seem to see the WW2 crates often(or at all).Typically see all the commecial ammo,dynamite ones,fruit and produce crates.Was at a large fleamarket friday that I hae attended over the years.A couple hundred crates there but never came across an ration crates

Ron, that is one of the cleanest crates I have seen in a while. Rations crates certainly are not too easy to find.

RC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Come over here in France they are a lot easier to spot !! I find about 5 to 10 each year.

You may want some spices with your bacon? Here is one I sold this year.

post-106404-0-13417000-1445722605.jpg