War Trophy Artillery - Mason City, Iowa

Wasn't sure where to post this one. This field gun, Russian, is on display at the National Guard Armory on the south side of Mason City.

I don't know if this was a trophy from the Gulf War in 1991 or the later Iraq and Afghanstan wars?

You so seldom see these sorts of things away from the main coastal bases that I thought it was worth posting.

post-440-0-19451900-1439691364.jpg

GUlf War as If I recall correctly

There was a Reserve unit as well who served in the First Gulf war from Mason.

Was a time you didnt go to a flea market or gunshow there with out seein a leat 1 Iraqi helmet if not 4-5.It was said the unit brought back around 200 helmets.

Wasn't sure where to post this one. This field gun, Russian, is on display at the National Guard Armory on the south side of Mason City.

I don't know if this was a trophy from the Gulf War in 1991 or the later Iraq and Afghanstan wars?

You so seldom see these sorts of things away from the main coastal bases that I thought it was worth posting.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

How were the wings??

THe pasta was great on wednesday

Actually, if you get down to Des Moines, there are a number of Gulf War captured vehicles at the Iowa Gold Star Museum, at Camp Dodge.

b11.jpg

The one in Mason City is Gulf war and the Iowa units must of had their own container ship to bring the stuff home, including Mercedes trucks, tanks, and Arty. Much of it is on display at the "Gold Star" at Cp Dodge, all I got was a AK bayonet.

A lot of the state and National Guard museums all seem to have a sample of vehicles from the Gulf Wars. It makes me wonder if there was some form of distribution program organized to "share the wealth".

But I understand some of the Iraqi equipment that came back to the 1st Cav Museum at Fort Hood was captured by the unit and earmarked for their own museum.

Looking at these photos, I just realized how odd and out of place a sand colored vehicle looks in a green environment!

BB23.jpg