VMA-124 Helmet

TLeo

Been on kind of a flight helmet theme here lately. Maybe the bug has bitten me again regarding these things. Here is the latest addition of what looks to be a hgu-55 modified at some point with the integrated chin/nape straps. I saw this and almost passed it by as I was really unsure about the markings until after wading through page after page of google entries, I saw a pretty old post from forum member littlegto(Eddie). He had purchased several helmets and items from a retired C.O. from VMA-124 and lo and behold, there was his helmet with close to identical tape as this. That convinced me to go after it and surprisingly no one else was interested so it arrived the other day. It came just as shown, complete with mbu-14 mask dated 89-90-91, lower redar hose with cru79 regulator. Eddie told me his dated from around the same period according to his info from the retired officer. It needed the comm wire which I already had so now all it needs is new foam in the ear cups. The only label I could find was on the tpl and it had a name..Capt. Baker on it ....and there was apparently a name tape on the back that has been removed judging from some obvious tape residue left behind.. It shows some nice honest wear/use but in really nice shape.

post-5081-0-22807100-1439677649.jpg

post-5081-0-86727400-1439677684.jpg

northcoastaero

Nice HGU-55/P helmet with the early style integrated chin/nape strap assy. Try flighthelmet.com for the correct PRK-37/P or HGU-55/P ear cup foam inserts.

Thanks, they usually have whatever parts someone needs and have already contacted them about the foam. They are also replacing an edge roll on another Marine helmet for me that I have had quite a while. It was really in bad shape and stripped. I should get that back to me next week and I plan to restore the rest of the parts to it.