Intersting jungle jacket

hochiminhtrail

hochiminhtrail

Hi

here is one of my few jackets that i posses, it s belonging to a captain who served with the FAC 183 sea horse, the early jacket is pretty unusual ( my guess) when you think that the unit came to VN in the mid 60s.

when i bought the tunic i bought it for the patches and the shirt itself, there was no name to it and it did not went for to much money, once in my hands i found a laundry mark inside for the Hooch maid, so i started to look for the guy on the 183 website and bingo i found him ( or better say NTS found him pinch.gif ) he deros from the unit in 68"Lt. Ogle, Glenn A. DEROS 3 Oct 68"

he must have signed up again and became Captain, below the last informations i have on him.

Now the question is why would he wear such an early jacket so late during the war??

i have tried to contact him trough the Vets association, but he has not come to any meetings and they have not heard from him since the war end.

OGLE GLENN A

Branch: ARMY

Rate: O03

MOS: 1980

MOS Title: Fixed Wing Aviator (Unit Commander)

Entered: 6602

Discharged: 860601

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN

post-1849-1218216148.jpg

A very nice jacket HCMT with a lovely pocket patch. w00t.gif

Thanks for sharing it. thumbsup.gif

Now the question is why would he wear such an early jacket so late during the war??

The answer might be as simple as "Because he could" or, he might have wanted to show his "Old hand status".

Stanton's VN uniform book, shows a 1970 or 71 dated picture of a 173rd Trooper with a Type 1 Jungle fatigue.

If you have a good look for it you start to see that it is was done often.

hochiminhtrail

Hi Mr X

thanks for the comments, thumbsup.gif

A very nice jacket HCMT with a lovely pocket patch. w00t.gif

Thanks for sharing it. thumbsup.gif

The answer might be as simple as "Because he could" or, he might have wanted to show his "Old hand status".

Stanton's VN uniform book, shows a 1970 or 71 dated picture of a 173rd Trooper with a Type 1 Jungle fatigue.

If you have a good look for it you start to see that it is was done often.

Hi,

Nice patches and nice jacket. The Seahorse website is really well done with some interesting pics and infos!

Cheers

Valery

The pilot may of had an earlier tour, as signified by the MACV patch on the right shoulder.

The simple answer may be was that he was issued this on his first tour and he just simply brought them with him back on his second tour.

In talking to vets, a lot of them did not even really take notice of the difference in the uniforms they were wearing. You have to keep in mind for all of the hoopla assigned to different types of uniforms by collectors and reenactors, a lot of soldiers simply looked at field fatigues as "work clothes".

hochiminhtrail

Hi gwb

yes you are right i think he had this jacket on a previous tour, under his captain bars you can see the sticching for a previous Lieutenant bar, thats the rank he had when he was with the 183rd sea horse.

cheers

Alex

The pilot may of had an earlier tour, as signified by the MACV patch on the right shoulder.

The simple answer may be was that he was issued this on his first tour and he just simply brought them with him back on his second tour.

In talking to vets, a lot of them did not even really take notice of the difference in the uniforms they were wearing. You have to keep in mind for all of the hoopla assigned to different types of uniforms by collectors and reenactors, a lot of soldiers simply looked at field fatigues as "work clothes".