Need ID help here, in dating this piece

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

Can anyone ID the period and type of pin and catch. It is mounted to the back of a pre WW1 Dress EGA. Thx, s/f Darrell

m1892_dress_011.jpg

m1892_dress_009.jpg

Can anyone ID the period and type of pin and catch. It is mounted to the back of a pre WW1 Dress EGA. Thx, s/f Darrell

I have a very similar type hinge/catch on a WWI vintage wing. It shares the oval base plate and the drop in catch. Yours seems to be missing the little locking device on the catch, but it looks just about like what I would expect from a teens-20's style attaching system on a military insignia.

Patrick

post-1519-1218220870.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Thanks Patrick, I just knew one of you folks on the "wings" side would recognize this gem. Thx, Darrell

Say it is not so an EGA posted in the wings section!?! :P

Dont worry John, I added a wing picture, thus rescuing the thread from the heritics.

Patrick

teufelhunde.ret

OK - ok, we get the message, no nonconformists allowed blushing.gif . Someday we hope to have you visit us too wink2.gif . Again Thx for the help. s/f Darrell

at this point, I'm not really sure which side is the darkside...

either way, we have cookies :lol:

I miss the EGA guys!

It is interesting that he would have gone to that trouble to actually have his insignia repaired. Were the EGA's that expensive "back in the day" that it would have made sense to have it repaired rather than just buy a new one?

Come to thinking about it, how much did an EGA sell for at the time? I have seen old catalogs and bullion WWI wings and if I recall correctly, cost only a few dollars and the sterling silver metal badges were no more than 5-10 dollars at most.

Patrick

John Cooper
Dont worry John, I added a wing picture, thus rescuing the thread from the heritics.

Patrick

Ok I can sleep easy now... :lol:

teufelhunde.ret
I miss the EGA guys!

It is interesting that he would have gone to that trouble to actually have his insignia repaired. Were the EGA's that expensive "back in the day" that it would have made sense to have it repaired rather than just buy a new one?

Come to thinking about it, how much did an EGA sell for at the time? I have seen old catalogs and bullion WWI wings and if I recall correctly, cost only a few dollars and the sterling silver metal badges were no more than 5-10 dollars at most.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, we miss you guys too. You've been reading my mind... I had posted on the EGA thread this morning, this ega was undoubtedly done in the teens based upon you pin... albeit, the emblem had reached the period when its design had been phased out, and, replaced by die stamped EGA's. So it my conclusion this was done for a cover and or frame which when acquired did not have a grommet hole in place at that time? Perhaps the folks that collect the barracks covers from that period can comment? s/f Darrell

jeremiahcable
at this point, I'm not really sure which side is the darkside...

either way, we have cookies :lol:

But they're oatmeal cookie bars from the old MREs, and you have to bring your own beverage base powder! pinch.gif

But they're oatmeal cookie bars from the old MREs, and you have to bring your own beverage base powder! pinch.gif

How about some GEE MILK? ;)