How do i prevent mothing or reduce mothing on uniforms

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

Hey guys,

I have a few ww2 ike jackets and pants etc etc in my closet hanging with no other things but them in their. All are basically moth free except for one i just picked up. Is it safe to put the new uniform wiht mothing in their or will it attract more mothing somehow.You all must forgive me i just got into uniform collecting and have heard some pretty bad mothing stories which dont want to happen hear. Are there good techinques or things to purchase to put in with the jackets to prevent/reduce mothing.

THANKS GUYS thumbsup.gif

Hey guys,

I have a few ww2 ike jackets and pants etc etc in my closet hanging with no other things but them in their. All are basically moth free except for one i just picked up. Is it safe to put the new uniform wiht mothing in their or will it attract more mothing somehow.You all must forgive me i just got into uniform collecting and have heard some pretty bad mothing stories which dont want to happen hear. Are there good techinques or things to purchase to put in with the jackets to prevent/reduce mothing.

THANKS GUYS thumbsup.gif

First: KILL ALL MOTHS!

mothra1.jpg

Here's a nice detailed article from the University of California:

I've used a cedar-scented anti-moth spray to great effect.

Russell 1910

I am sure there are others with more in-depth methods, but basically, I think the rule of thumb is to never introduce a new item (uniform, hat, blanket) to a "moth free" environment without taking precautions first. I believe there are previous posts on this board regarding putting any such new items into the freezer to be sure any live insects or larve do not stay that way.

Also a visual check of the uniform (away from your collection) and a good cleaning (vacuum with protective screen and perhaps a brush) to remove insect remains or surface grunge before it goes in with the collection. Remember the pockets, as I believe tobacco attracts insects...

I recently got a relative's WWII service coat and pants that had not been stored too well and they have a fair amount of mothing. Upon getting them in the house I did a quick visual check then placed the items in trash bags and placed them in the freezer for a period of 24 hours.

Hope this is helpful. I know others will have more in depth methods/suggestions to share.

I always put new wool items in a plastic bag, seal it as tight as possible and put it in the freezer for about a month. Take it out and hang it up to let condensation dry, then I place it back in a bag with moth balls and seal it up good and let it sit a while. Let it set in the basement so any harmful fumes stay down there. Then after that give it a dry-cleaning if needed. I ran out of room in the cedar chest so now I have to hang things in the closet. Moths will still find them so you have to check on them every now and then.

Mothballs may cause cancer, but what doesn't in this polluted world...

-Matt.

pathfinder505

I quarantine everything new by putting in a garbage bag with a couple of moth balls and then seal up. Stick that inside another garbage bag and seal. That normally takes care of any odor. Let them sit a few months then take outside and brush off. You can cause damage to anything silk if a moth ball touches it. So be careful of ribbons and patches. If you dryclean they can also damage a patch. SO be careful.

However, the best way to cure and prevent them is just sell to me! :lol:

FightenIrish35

Thank you everyone..i will definitly start useing these techinques right this second.Always great getting this advice back

thumbsup.gif

Wow, i thought the whole contiminated moth ball thing was a myth! So, if i've got something that is ever so lightly mothed, and put it with something that isnt, it will end up being mothed aswell?