Military Men who Resemble Celebrities

world war I nerd

C'mon, Patches-- you da' man! I know you can get this one. Neither of them are obscure--- just really old. The officer was a flag officer and the celebrity, with a mug like that, was from the Golden Age of Comedy.

You win, I'm stumped :lol:

aerialbridge

Ben Turpin next to flag officer.

The admiral never would have passed the eye test!

Nope, not Ben. :lol:

aerialbridge

Jimmy Fynlayson

Well done, sir! Okay for the bonus round, who's the admiral? Hint- 4 stars, that should narrow the field.

BILL THE PATCH

Jimmy played in countless hal roach comedies of the 1930's, master of the slow burn.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

aerialbridge

Who loves ya' baby! Great likeness. Telly was a cool dude-- he and his family lived in a suite at the Sheraton Universal right next to Universal Studios. He hung out there like it was his home. He was glad to talk to anybody and they named the bar after him. My buddy, JPW, was the doorman back in the 80s and 90's and Telly's family practically adopted him. Telly died at the Sheraton.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-01-25/local/me-15026_1_telly-savalas

A pal of mine bumped into Telly in Vegas and he was a huge fan of "Kelly's Heroes" and asked Telly all kinds of questions about the movie. After a log talk, Telly said he had to go but not that he wanted to but he had to, citing how nobody had ever asked him about that movie that he could ever recall and he liked talking about it.

world war I nerd

Aerialbridge, I recognize two of your servicemen look-a-likes ... George Bush Senior, aka "41" and actor Sean Penn. No idea who the third one is.

Here's a WW I 78th Division Doughboy that kinda'-sorta'-maybe looks like one half of a sibling, singing, comedy duo that had their own variety show during the 1960s???

Doughboy photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-69751100-1468917454.jpg

world war I nerd

Ding-Ding-Ding ... we have a winner. It is Dick Smothers, the one that "Mom always liked best."

aerialbridge

You got itl, WW1! And the third one is actor Robert Walker, Sr. Good one of Dickie Smothers. Used to enjoy their show. Keep 'em coming, boys!

world war I nerd

Here's another celeberity look-a-like. This WW I soldier in training looked (to me) a lot like one of Hollywood's most iconic leading men from the 60s, 70, and 80s. He started out in television. Then he made it BIG on the silver screen ... Any gueses?

Doughboy photo courtesy of the John Adam- Graf collection

post-5143-0-56972000-1469098250.jpg

world war I nerd

aznation, you're right on the money with Clint Eastwood. That's his high school graduation photo, by the way.

The actor portraying Audie Murphy in "To Hell and Back" has a stunning resemblance to the military man he is portraying :P. It's like they were separated at birth!

post-29885-0-58874600-1469109354.jpg

aerialbridge

Cheeky :lol: :lol:

Not only that, somebody put 'em back together!

Watched Hang 'Em High on TCM last night. I'd forgotten how good it was. "Next time you hang a man, you better look at him." :blush: