Philippine Insurrection Purple Heart

Bill_Carman

I recently acquired this Purple Heart at the OMSA Convention. I have only seen two other Philippine Insurrection Purple Hearts and was surprised it was still around after two days.

Private Jay Blaisdell received his Purple Heart on 22 June 1939 for being wounded in action on 1 January 1900. He was assigned to Company H, 39th US Volunteer Infantry. The 39th was located at Fort Crook, Nebraska the unit arrived in the Philippines on 7 December 1899 and departed 16 March 1901.

The Purple Heart is numbered 65096 and has a pretty 'beefy' - thick brooch compared to others. It may be in a number range that was produced by the Metallic/Metal Arts Company.

According to the Headstone Application for Veterans, Jay Blaisdell passed away 31 August 1949 and is buried in Greenmount Cemetery, Quincy, Illinois.

Thanks for looking.

post-140407-0-69233600-1439596998.jpg

I still cannot image why the seller didn't take my offer of $50. :)

Seriously Bill, that is a great acquisition. I looked at it a number of times, but I don't collect named medals.

Nice!

A very nice heart indeed Bill. Congratulations on this one.

This PH was manufactured by the Metal Arts Co. Inc. under a contract dated August 16, 1938. The number range of this contract is determined as 62,001 to 67,500. The numbering on the rim is upside down (compared to the earlier contracts) which is a characteristic for this contract.

The next contract for the PH, also from Metal Arts has the same upside down numbering. The number range of this contract, dated August 18, 1939, is from 67,501 to 77,000.

As is said, great heart.

regards

Herman

Wow a "Holy Grail" for PH collectors! My congratulations on acquiring this piece for your already impressive collection.

Gary B

Nice one Bill. I was looking at that too. Glad to see you picked it up.

I just emailed you a bit ago.

Regards, JimB