Grandpa's WWII Navy Beach Battalion M1 Helmet!

stealthytyler

phantomfixer

It is a very interesting helmet with a great story...and the chin strap looks ok the day he gave it to you ... ; )

FWI... one of the ladies in my office her father, William Dempsey, was in the 4th and then the 6th Beach battalion, according to her...she went to several reunions years ago, with her father...she also has several 4th BB news letters that were compiled in to a book...she let me read them years ago...was interesting to read their history

the unsung heros of the invasion force....

stealthytyler

It is a very interesting helmet with a great story...and the chin strap looks ok the day he gave it to you ... ; )

FWI... one of the ladies in my office her father, William Dempsey, was in the 4th and then the 6th Beach battalion, according to her...she went to several reunions years ago, with her father...she also has several 4th BB news letters that were compiled in to a book...she let me read them years ago...was interesting to read their history

the unsung heros of the invasion force....

Yeah I saw the old photo and thought the same...

Looks like Dempsey was in Platoon B-6 with the 4th BB.

stealthytyler

There are 2 stress cracks on the front of the helmet (as seen in the photos). Is there anything I can do to prevent further cracking? Should I suspend the helmet so the rim does not have pressure from sitting on a table? Thanks

stealthytyler

Man this is such a special item with more sentimental value than one could imagine. How awesome to have it you know your grandpa is proud to know his grandson is so passionate and will keep his story alive for generations to come. I just got all my grandfathers Marine corps stuff from WWII a few months ago and it's bitter sweet because I'd give it all up in a heartbeat to have him back but I'm honored to keep his story alive.

I feel your pain... but these items we have serve as reminders and memories!

There are 2 stress cracks on the front of the helmet (as seen in the photos). Is there anything I can do to prevent further cracking? Should I suspend the helmet so the rim does not have pressure from sitting on a table? Thanks

very cool helmet! always like seeing it pop up!

that could be an option, not sure that is what is causing it though. some helmets just crack, especially earlier shells... some were stacked inside one an other and got cracks. if the cracks didnt form in the time you've had it i would say it isnt something to be concerned about IMHO.

Thanks for posting the pics and your Granpa's story. The helmet, its provenance, the various stripe colors from different ops, the documentation of the beach battalions... A great post.

Tom

Wow amazing piece of history to your grandfather. Thanks for posting and the period pics are great, too.

Anything related to family service is something to hold dear.

-Brian

stealthytyler

very cool helmet! always like seeing it pop up!

that could be an option, not sure that is what is causing it though. some helmets just crack, especially earlier shells... some were stacked inside one an other and got cracks. if the cracks didnt form in the time you've had it i would say it isnt something to be concerned about IMHO.

I am pretty sure I remember stress cracks always being there ever since I was little. I remember the straps being damaged too... strange you cant see it in the photo of me as a kid. If it has survived 70+ years of war and two generations of kids playing with it, i'm sure it will survive just fine for many years to come on a static display! :)

I am pretty sure I remember stress cracks always being there ever since I was little. I remember the straps being damaged too... strange you cant see it in the photo of me as a kid. If it has survived 70+ years of war and two generations of kids playing with it, i'm sure it will survive just fine for many years to come on a static display! :)

funny how gently we now treat items made for war isn't it ;)

I'm a pessimist, so it's very very rare that I see a WW2 painted M-1 that I 100% believe to be real. This is one of those. Excellent piece. You should be proud of grandfather, and it's good that an item such as this is staying in the family.

Robswashashore

This is about the coolest thread I have ever seen on this forum -- and I've seen some really cool threads.

Thank you for sharing this fantastic bit of history with us!

Robswashashore

funny how gently we now treat items made for war isn't it ;)

LOL! Yeah, after all, Grampa was SITTING on it in Post #16!

stealthytyler

Does anyone know why the overall color of this helmet is a brownish color? I do see green splotches too but from a distance it looks brown... sort of glossy as well. Any ideas?

stealthytyler

This is about the coolest thread I have ever seen on this forum -- and I've seen some really cool threads.

Thank you for sharing this fantastic bit of history with us!

My pleasure! I have so many stories from my grandfather and the other vets from his platoon that I have interviewed. Wish I had the time to share them all!

stealthytyler

Here is a photo of Platoon C-9 again during the invasion of Southern France. You can't see my grandfather in this one. They are taking cover from a German sniper. Notice the stripe on the helmet of the sailor on the left.

post-131595-0-96282300-1439574775.jpg

stealthytyler

Another great shot of 2 helmets from the 4th BB. Here is a sailor from Platoon C-9 standing next to a shell hit. I believe this is Salerno... possibly southern France though.

post-131595-0-89506800-1439575159.jpg

Here is a photo of Platoon C-9 again during the invasion of Southern France. You can't see my grandfather in this one. They are taking cover from a German sniper. Notice the stripe on the helmet of the sailor on the left.

attachicon.gifSniper Ahead 4th BB.jpg

thats something ive never seen on a Thompson forward grip