7011th CEREMONIAL DETACHMENT ARMY SERVICE UNIT

BEAST

I spoke with my uncle last night. He was drafted at the end of WWII and served with the 7011 Ceremonial Detachment, ASU. Prior to the 3rd Infantry serving at the tomb, this unit provided the tomb guards and provided honor guards for President Truman and other dignataries. While his hearing isn't so good, his mind is still very sharp! I will pass on a few things he told me during our brief talk.

They wore the four pocket blouse with shined buttons and the Washington District SSI. This is at the time that the rest of the Army had gone to the Ike jacket. They would catch grief from the MPs when they would go into town as they did not have Ike jackets to wear and had to explain why they wore the old coat.

They would provide honor guard for Generals and their families. For this duty, the family would pay them extra, usually $5 each. Normally a servant would come in to the kitchen (where my uncle and friends) were eating left over oer dourves and they would be paid the money. However he was serving as an honor guard at a party given by Mamie Eisenhower and General Eisenhower came into to pay them. Talk about calamity! The clatter of highly polished shoes hitting the floor as they were all trying to come to attention! Ike just smiled at them and said "I guess I should have sent the butler in."

My Uncle also served as honor guard for Truman. Many years later, after Truman was out of office, my uncle stopped by his home to say hello. Harry S. was very happy to see him and they sat, talked and Truman played the piano. Don't think this would happen today!

Unfortunetly my uncle doesn't have any of his photos, he thinks that some else in the family has them. If I run across any (including those of him participating in wreath laying ceremonies), I will post them.

Great story!! I hope you find the photos.

Truman was a very friendly man. My mother remembers him taking walks through Independence. As a kid, I remember seeing him in front of his house and although he was pretty old at that time he always waved and said hello. Those were better times.