My First Ribbon Bar!

Piper Cub

I've seen a lot of ribbons and such for sale at shows but I've never known enough about them to buy any, until last Sunday. I still don't know much about them but after loading and unloading military stuff at the show that felt light if it only weighed 40 pounds I was ready for something a little smaller. One of the other vendors had a small pile of ribbon bars and loose ribbons for sale so I picked out the biggest one that there was and bought it. He told me what some of the ribbons mean but I don't remember since I didn't write it down. Now I've started reading this section of the forum so I can learn more about ribbons and what I should be looking for in the future. Did I do good on this first set of ribbons? How old is this set? I'm already liking this section of military collecting, it's just so easy to move and store!

post-158728-0-89096900-1439404765.jpg

It is a Marine Corps bar and the Marine had served in the Gulf War and Afghanistan. The bar is rather modern. First row is a Navy Achievement for Valor and service, next is a Combat Action ribbon. Second Row is: National Defense, Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation and Sea Service twice awarded. Third row is: Afghanistan Campaign with two campaign stars, Global War on Terror Campaign and Global War on Terror Service. Bottom row is on upside down but left to right is: Nato non Article 5 medal, Kuwait Liberation Medal Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Liberation of Kuwait Medal Kuwaiti. $6 was a cheap price.

Hello,

Nice riibon bar. Some of the ribbons are out of order and there is at least one ribbon missing. You can check the order of precedent by using any one of several oniline ribbon rack checkers (just google "online ribbon rack builder"). Since your ribbon rack has both the Saudi Arabian Kuwait Liberation Medal and Kuwaiti Liberation of Kuwait Medal it really should have a Southwest Asia Service Medal with one, two, or three stars. You could not have gotten the first two medals without earning the third medal. It almost seems to me like there is a row of three riboons missing. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

I think you did well. A very nice ribbon rack. It has been said that this is a USMC rack, but it could also be a USN rack.

Chris

Thanks guys! That time sounds good to me since I collect primarily from the wars in the Middle East. It's totally possible that some of what's missing may have been laying on the table right next to it but I just didn't know.

Here's what I came up with using a rack builder does this look right? If it is how do I move them without breaking anything?

post-158728-0-80000900-1439419526.jpg

The ribbons just slide on and off. Some might need a little persuasion. Make sure your hands are clean. Give a try. Good luck

Semper Fi,

Bruce

This rack seems suspicious. I could see an enlisted Marine doing over 10 years (probably nearer 15 given they have the Afghan Campaign Medal, not just the GWOT-EM or Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal) and getting just two NAMs, but there is no Good Conduct Medal so that screams officer. What are the odds of an officer with two wars, even a reserve officer, and having no higher than a NAM? Not good, I think.

I got the order corrected now. Man, that was a nerve wracking exercise! The brass backing came off of the Sea Service ribbon but I think I got it back in correctly. ASL, it is totally possible that this rack was assembled from parts or is missing a row. The backing does have a little bit of a top to bottom curve to it so a row may have broken off before I got it. Ribbon collecting is just as addictive as military vehicles! I won a lot with a ribbon bar, two medals, rank insignia, patches and some other stuff on Ebay tonight for cheap. I think a stack of display cases may be in my future.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a picture of the lot I bought off Ebay last month. I don't even know how many ribbons I have coming now from the members of this great forum. I think it's close to 100. I'll post some pictures of the ones I had shipped to Flagstaff as I get them organized. All the ones that were shipped to CA before I thought to ship them to me will be included in the post when I go back home on break. Thank you to everyone who has inspired me to start collecting these and to everyone who has given me the opportunity to purchase more ribbons for good prices!

post-158728-0-58598900-1441768023.jpg

This rack seems suspicious. I could see an enlisted Marine doing over 10 years (probably nearer 15 given they have the Afghan Campaign Medal, not just the GWOT-EM or Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal) and getting just two NAMs, but there is no Good Conduct Medal so that screams officer. What are the odds of an officer with two wars, even a reserve officer, and having no higher than a NAM? Not good, I think.

Not at all unheard of in the Corps. I know plenty of Marines...officers and enlisted...with over a decade of service, including combat, and no higher award than the combat action ribbon or even good conduct medal. The Corps is known to be stingy with awards

Additionally, he could have broken service. Did the Gulf, got out, came back in after 9/11. I've known at least a half dozen retreads who came back in after 9/11

I think you did well. A very nice ribbon rack. It has been said that this is a USMC rack, but it could also be a USN rack.

Chris

It isn't a navy rack. Navy ribbon racks do not have the 1/8" spacing between the rows.

It isn't a navy rack. Navy ribbon racks do not have the 1/8" spacing between the rows.

Not necessarily true. I have seen Corpsmen at the hospital wearing both. Not sure if it's against their regs and they're just buying whatever they want at the PX on USMC installations, but have definitely seen both

That said, I dislike the 1/8" gap

Very nice combination of ribbons. If I'm not mistaken the V on Navy/Marine Corps awards is a combat distinguishing device and not for valor. Also known as the combat V. So it was awarded for service in combat, but not necessarily for heroism.

Thanks for the info everyone! The ribbon collection has been growing a bunch the last week and the patch collection has exploded as well. There's more coming and some that I sent to home instead of school. Here's some pictures from today and yesterday's deliveries.

post-158728-0-99504100-1442362559.jpg

post-158728-0-50917200-1442362597.jpg