US Army M3A4 Hand Carts

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Feel free to check out my latest webpage about these carts....

M3A4 Handcarts

Will be adding more soon....

I invite members to post images and details of their carts here.....

Thanks!

Johan

My collection of carts is tough to get to, to take photo's, but here they are. In front is an RL-31-A reel cart with 3 DR-4 reels. There are 3 M3A4's lined up behind it. First is an Rock Island Arsenal 1943, then a John Wood with SCR-609 radio mounted, then a John Wood M6A1 81mm mortar cart. In the very back is a USMC M1942 utility cart with an M1917A1 Browning machinegun mounted in it.

MVC_036S.JPG

MVC_037S.JPG

Well, one is full of WW2 medic bags. Another is full of M1910 and M1928 haversacks. Another is cartridge belts. One is full of Signal Corps canvas bags. And some I don't remember.

Johan Willaert

Thanks for posting that, 517th....

Did it come with those tires originally, or were they put on during restoration?

What's the Serial Number?

Johan

Hi Johan: Tires are original, unfortunately they are German made Dunlop tires, not a clue when they would have been fitted but they are well worn & cracked. Is it possible to find any original military style tires?. As for the serial # it is very difficult to make out due to damage & scuffing to the data plate..

517th...

• 7 months later...
Johan Willaert

I'm looking to trade one Firestone Ground Grip (tractor) 4OO-12 tire for a Firestone Rib Implement 400-12 tire.

My tire is used but still servicable and was taken off a relic handcart. It is not marked MILITARY but rather TRACTOR.

Rib Implement tire must be in same condition and usable.

I will pay postage both ways....

Tire picture at:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s234/jo...irestone001.jpg

Thanks,

Johan

These carts are pretty cool. I picked up mine over 10 years ago at a tractor show, still in OD paint. It does have its draw bar! I got a pair of ropes from a dealer but haven't yet gotten a cover. I need to look to see what the wheels are. It is a 1944, John Wood, if interested in the SN#, I'll look and get back to you.

I saw a stripped frame at a show in 1996 in central Indiana, a John Wood, 1944, SN#30538. I keep expecting to see it show up at a show as a "rare variation" after being "restored" because so much of it was missing. I should have made a photo of it.

There is a Cushman Scooter Collectors event held locally and there is usually at least one of these carts at that show every year.

I also saw one being used as a road side tomato stand. I told him what it was and offered to buy it but the owner didn't want to sell it. I didn’t make a note of the SN#. It is gone now. I hope who ever got it, knows what it is.

We are restoring a US WW I Ammunition Cart for the Vickers gun. It is pretty neat also.

I enjoy your web site, Thanks for the hard work on it!

Do you know where the John Wood Company was located? I think I heard it was somewhere in Michigan.

Now we need one for our 4.2 inch Chemical Mortar! It never ends!

BKW