UNIS Marked M41 field jacket

Bellumbill

Hello all -

I am really thrilled to have picked up this jacket on ebay last week. I usually don't post stuff because I don't want to appear to be showing off or shoving my good fortune into others faces. In this case, I am happy to show it so that people who aren't so lucky now might learn what to look for and find one of their own in the future. However, I am also posting because I am curious as to why you all might think NO ONE else bid on this!? I surmise the opening bid was too high and scared people off? The opening bid was $439 and that is what I got it for.

Very well name marked "W.R. W/E/A/V/E/R in the typical underarm area with typical USMC stamping. Also, his name is stenciled on the lower part of the jacket lining and it also looks like he stenciled his name on the back waistband, but pretty faded. The UNIS markings have been re-done a few times and the blotted out portion is a "2" duly crossed out and re-marked with a "3" when he was promoted Sgt. Mr. W/E/A/V/E/R was a member of "E" battery, 2nd Battalion, 14th Marines and participated in the Roi/Namur, Saipan/Tinian, and Iwo Jima operations as a linesman.

Anyway, enjoy and please enjoy the article I found on the veteran. In the past 30 years of collecting I can count the number of times I have found an article on the veteran of a uniform I own on one hand.

http://articles.mcall.com/2000-05-29/news/all-wilburweaver_1_iwo-jima-volcanic-ash-island

Very best to all!

Bill K.

post-661-0-11213800-1439335456.jpg

post-661-0-39338500-1439335471.jpg

Awesome M41 jacket. I saw that one on ebay. I could have sworn it ended at a fixed price but I guess not. Great deal!

Great looking jacket! Excellent research on the identification as well. Thank you for sharing!

Very nice Bill.....Feel free to flaunt your stuff here anytime :D

Just a fantastic jacket.

Thank you! Really a large reason for posting was to get other's opinions as to why no one else bid on it! I know that can be a complex question but thought I'd ask anyway. I mean I've almost paid as much for a unis marked canteens!

Best

Bill

Thank you! Really a large reason for posting was to get other's opinions as to why no one else bid on it! I know that can be a complex question but thought I'd ask anyway.

Best

Bill

Honestly didnt see it as I dont often look at ebay.Find plenty here to keep me busy...and broke ;):lol:

Superb jacket Bill, great find, love it! Named and UNIS marked M41s are incredibly uncommon.

All the best, Graham

wow thats awesome i love m41 field coats but have never owned one guess i just like the way they look :lol:

That's a really great jacket!

I missed seeing the listing entirely. I think you got lucky!

Cheers,

-Steve