M1908 enlisted dress cap emblem

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

This at first glance appears to be your quintessential M1892 dress emblem from the front, once turned over, a neat surprise. A pinback and from all appearance it would also seem to be period original, as there is no presence of any other type of pinback devices nor screwback. Its mounting is clean - no slop work and the patina on the pin features is identical. I cannot find any other pins mounted to this period of EGA's like it? Your thoughts?

s/f Darrell

m1892_dress_001.jpg

m1892_dress_004.jpg

jeremiahcable

Very interesting variant Darrell. From the looks of the finish on the base pads for the pin mount and catch mount I'd say that it's a manufacturer variant, or done very, very well by a jeweler. Glad to see that this one ended up being something nice for you!

Interesting piece, Darrell. Pin & Catch well done. The catch appears to be a "roller" that has lost its lock. Unusual catch style for that era so perhaps it was modified sometime later. How is the badge itself made? Is it a thinly stamped nickel epaulette type? Or a more substantial brass type? Looks "old".......Congrats! ;)

Semper Fi!................Bobgee

teufelhunde.ret
Interesting piece, Darrell. Pin & Catch well done. The catch appears to be a "roller" that has lost its lock. Unusual catch style for that era so perhaps it was modified sometime later. How is the badge itself made? Is it a thinly stamped nickel epaulette type? Or a more substantial brass type? Looks "old".......Congrats! ;)

Semper Fi!................Bobgee

"looks old" is best description. And it is made from thin stock, but, appreciably heavier than other known stamped period pieces yet not of the heavy die struck pieces that later followed. Its the catch that has me stymied. I've spent a good hour looking at various pin catches here. Nothing of similar arrangement. Have borrowed a two examples from wings to post here. Perhaps I should just start a new post in badges or wings and see if others can ID it?

post_2829_1210631072.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

But, those WW2 catches come in from the side, as with examples above, and all the rest I've seen... in from the side... this is a top loader...? I cannot recall seing something of this nature?

teufelhunde.ret

All, it appears we have a definative clue as to the likely time frame this was made. With the help of the folks (Patrick) in the wings section, this pin arrangement came about in the teen's: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...st&p=177562 Thus it makes sense, these particlar EGA's were being - had been phased out for the more durable thick "die stamped" emblems - thus the posted above was likely created at the outset of these top-loader pins. This picture was posted as reference by Patrick.

post_1519_1218220870.jpg

The roller catches that I've seen on wings, rank insignia, etc. that are clearly Id'd as WW-II era (admittedly not all that many) all have been side-load variety. I have seen the top-load roller catch on some wings and rank pins from the 20s and early 30s. I'm not an EGA expert but this one is certainly interesting to me with the early style EGA and what seems like a later style pin. I can't wait to see the opinions of the experts on this one!