PBY Black Cat Pilot w link to USS Indianapolis

Waltz41

A little late for the anniversary, but I was on vacation and just got back! I've had this grouping now for a few years, with a nice happy story to it. The logbook, I bought off the forum here. One of my lucky and best finds on here, I can still remember exactly where and when I saw it and was able to be first in line to buy it! After purchasing the logbook, about a month or so later, I saw a grouping that was actually from the same pilot! I offered to BIN, but the seller refused, and well, I ended up even getting it all cheaper than what I originally offered! So it was nice to reunite some things of his together with the logbook.

The pilot belonged to VP-23, and was a pilot of a PBY Black Cat. The logbook is the real gem here, with some great entries of just about every type of mission from Anti-sub, strike cover, dumbo, ferry, etc.....as well as his last mission, which was two flights on August 5th as a Dumbo for survivors off the USS Indianapolis. In the ebay grouping there were a few studio portraits, a VP-23 group photo, some large navigation maps from 1944 of areas in the pacific, a scrap book a family member put together for him, as well as his original pilot rating books for elementary and secondary flight school. All in all, it's one of my favorite and most prized groupings I own.

post-89245-0-02635700-1439173122.jpg

Looks like someone was doing some research on the USS Indianapolis, obviously realizing afterwards how significant that log entry was! As you can see, the pilot was in the real estate buisness after the war (check the header of the paper).

post-89245-0-41648300-1439173923.jpg