Willys MB Seatbelts

klinejg

Okay, so not everyone is going to be okay with this, but I have the need for seatbelts. As a former mishap investigator and squadron safety officer in the Navy, I am aware of their value- even in a 1942 vintage vehicle.

First I tried using the belts from my Kawasaki Mule - not a good look. Now I am using "period looking" belts made from WW II (and later) paratrooper harnesses. $25 a set at a good A-N store.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/09/a368273b05673a51fe7ecf88bcb4a04c.jpg

As mounted in our Willys:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/09/897fc8ef2c8ce725326565a731fbc9e1.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/09/245e9119925588adb1ef6a7c6bf36f2a.jpg

Mounts to existing bolts.

Works good - looks a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...

What about airbags, roll bar and ABS brakes? I have had some experience analyzing data from seat belt use and accidents, and from that I found that people who wear seat belts are more likely to be in an accident.

• 4 weeks later...

I knew a guy who had an M-38 and mounted aircraft seatbelts. He was in a minor wreck and the seatbelts were mounted with bolts to the seat frames. They ripped right out and provided no resistance at all.

A USAF vet from the 50s told me they tried something similar on a weapons carrier in Korea, with the same result.

Anchoring a seat belt isn't remotely as easy as just finding a spot to place a bolt. There's a science behind it, and most people totally misunderstand the forces involved in such an event.

when I first purchased my 44 MB it had seatbelts home made by the previous owner. However a friend mentioned that there is no, repeat, absolutely no rollover protection in a WWII jeep and that with their short wheelbase and narrow track they are notoriously easy to roll. Therefore I decided to remove the seatbelts as I didn't want to be trapped in a rolling Jeep very likely to crush me in the drivers seat. Seat belts in cars make sense only because they keep you within the safety zone engineered in the vehicle. WWII combat vehicles don't have a safety zone so in some cases you would be better off being able to scramble out.

Tom Bowers

when I first purchased my 44 MB it had seatbelts home made by the previous owner. However a friend mentioned that there is no, repeat, absolutely no rollover protection in a WWII jeep and that with their short wheelbase and narrow track they are notoriously easy to roll. Therefore I decided to remove the seatbelts as I didn't want to be trapped in a rolling Jeep very likely to crush me in the drivers seat. Seat belts in cars make sense only because they keep you within the safety zone engineered in the vehicle. WWII combat vehicles don't have a safety zone so in some cases you would be better off being able to scramble out.

I wasn't going to bring this up myself, originally. That said, he makes an excellent point above.

I had seat belts in my MB for about 6 months and took them out. With my slow speeds I think "we" would rather be thrown out. But, who the heck really knows?

Each accident is different.

I just try my best to THINK safety all the time. Slow and easy...and don't trust the other guy for a minute.