HGU-22 Rebuild

FtrPlt

This is my current project. It was acquired as a stripped shell which had every hole in it filled with epoxy and several very heavy coats of paint added. It looks like it was being converted for some type of non-aviation use. After removal of the paint, it was interesting to see how many mods the helmet received over its lifetime. At various points it had a single visor as well as dual visor setup. Also a boom mic and ramshorn setup.

I decided to rebuild the helmet as a faux HGU-36. I drilled out the appropriate holes to accomodate a single visor configuration with a boom mic. It's been painted FS34087 lusterless OD and has its front edge and liner painted black per the specs for that helmet. An MT-1627 external boom mount was sourced and added via the original mount holes.

Externally it's largely complete although I still need to add the black S-hook and finish the interior. Velcro-adjustable black leather fitting pads will duplicate the original interior. I'm modifying a USN adhesive-backed fitting pad set by gluing velcro to the adhesive on the pads. I'm using 3M spray adhesive which will permanently bond the velcro to the pads.

Other than adding the earcup foam and removing some residual adhesive around the edge beading, the helmet is pretty much done. This will be a functional helmet -- i.e. the mic and earphones will be 300-ohm units compatible with general aviation radios, etc.

Work that was done:

- strip the shell

- redrill the needed holes

- prime ( issue reddish auto primer since most original shells seem to have the same color primer on them)

- paint the shell (as mentioned, I used Rapco lusterless FS34087 Olive Drab)

- paint the liner and front edge pad black (2 coats watered down flat black latex per the HGU-36 specs)

- add the black rubber edge bead.

post-65562-0-16888500-1439138349.jpg

northcoastaero

Very nice project! The images that I have seen of the HGU-36/P for use with the Lockheed AC-130 gunship have oxygen mask receivers installed on them. The boom microphone mount was then attached to the mask receiver underneath the data plate. The mask receivers were painted olive drab also. The communications cable for the earphones would be the CX-4708A/AIC with the red release dot.

I agree with you on the receivers -- at least on the AC-130s. Not sure about HH-3's. I do have receivers but didn't bother putting them on -- unnecessary weight. This helmet will soldier on as a guest helmet for flying in an L-Bird -- no mask will ever be required!

I have no idea what configuration this helmet was in when the boom mount was attached but I did use the existing holes. The boom mount, as is, would overhang the receivers if they were installed.

An HGU-33 shell would have been more correct to work with. I believe it shares the same shape as the HGU-36 -- with the brow area being cut higher/wider than the HGU-22. The HGU-33 would have also allowed me to recreate the cut-down front edge pads used on the HGU-36.

Here's a dual-visor HGU-36. Note the boom mount attachment.

hgu36-02.jpg

A couple of 'before' shots from early in the project. Note the many layers of paint. The yellowish layer was the original white factory finish.

post-65562-0-61888900-1439169261.jpg

post-65562-0-29637300-1439169282.jpg