Pilot's & Planes, USS Arizona

Steindaddie

Steindaddie

Got these two fine photos today. The planes are the Vought 03U-1 Corsair, and were used for scouting from battleships & cruisers. Interesting to note that Fly Field is now known as MCAS Yuma, Arizona. Over the years, it's gone through a lot of name and appearance changes. I looked at my log of the USS Arizona for this date and it showed the ship was in Norfolk for about five weeks - plenty of time for these guys to go cross country. Check out the great uniforms, plus the suntans from all that open cockpit flying ! I'm guessing the civilian man is the airfield manager. Two planes are a busy day for him.

Will

post-1949-1218076828.jpg

Great picture and story, Steindaddie. Link here for more about the O3U-1: It was a brand new model in 1931 and the pictured planes undoubtedly are of the first batch of 25 ordered by the Navy in March 1931. As these planes are still on wheels (instead of floats), maybe this flight had something to do with their delivery of to the Navy and U.S.S. Arizona.

Steindaddie

I bet you are right. It's very probable that these are being delivered to the Arizona. The planes look brand new, the Arizona had just come back from taking President Hoover abroad and was in the shipyard. I bet these guys are flying east to Norfolk. I'm guessing the floats are in a boxcar enroute.

Mahalo

Steindaddie

I agree that the cavalry boots are quite spiffy. And those boots made me think - were they part of a naval aviator's uniform during that time? I have seen photos of Navy pilots in that era (and earlier) wearing riding breeches and boots. When did they phase that out?