Flim found 65 years later on sub rescue of B29 crew new Japan

Raidercollector

Garandomatic

That's the USS Pintado. I found this video clip a few years ago when I got crewman Frank Lakofka's uniform and started researching his ship and war history. Very cool.

Garandomatic

Seems the Pintado's conning tower is on display at the Pacific War Museum, and that Lakofka's son donated his dolphins and PUC to them. I hope they are on display. I recall researching this event, and as was custom among sub crews performing lifeguard duty, they virtually stripped the airmen for souvenirs. Those guys weren't left with a single patch or insignia of any kind once they were brought on board.

Garandomatic

I better add also that the plane was called the "City of Galveston.". The unit later named a plane USS Pintado in appreciation.

Raidercollector

What a small world that you have one of the uniforms to one of the survivors on the plane .How cool. Can you post the uniform

Nick

Garandomatic

Yeah, just a second. The uniform I have is to one of the submariners, not the aircrew, though. It is a small world that you'd find the same video that I found a couple of years ago, though!

Garandomatic

Here's Lakofka's uniform, which I think he wore just post-WWII because the dolphins have moved to his chest, and he has two enlistment stripes.

post-9670-0-05399200-1439128907.jpg

northcoastaero

Amazing rescue and film. The USS Pintado (SS-387) was a Balao class submarine and rescued this B-29 crew during her fifth war patrol on June 26, 1945.

B-29 City of Galveston:

-B-29-60-BW (Boeing Wichita)

-Serial number: 44-69785

-Delivered January 25, 1945

-Assignment: XXI BC, 314 BW, 39 BG, 60 BS

-Markings: Black square P 13

-Abandoned due to flak at Nagoya Arsenal (Atsuda Plant?) on June 26, 1945.

That's a great story, thanks for posting the link to it.

The submarine histories from the late war period are interesting, a lot of patrols with oftentimes few ships or no ships sunk and a lot of time on "lifeguard" duty, with the constant risk of being attacked while surfaced, including attacks by our own aircraft.