3035th AAFBU emblem decal(Seeking image)

Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor

Hello , I am looking for a image I saw either here on the forum or somewhere online , but can not seem to find it now, it's just like the posted emblem below, but also has tab/s top and bottom with "Victorville" etc wording , if anyone here knows of this decal image Please post it here or tell me the link/page it is on , Much thanks !!!!!!!

post-2068-0-14176500-1439013515.jpg

Johnny,

I have this emblem as that of the 3035th Bombardment School, Victorville Army Air Field, Victorville, CA.

Another Disney Studios/Hank Porter creation.

Hope this helps.

Bob

post-6249-0-39412700-1439046734.jpg

Johnny Signor

Thanks Bob, it's one I didn't have , but the one I'm seeking has the light blue circle and the tabs at top and bottom , but again thanks much for this one as I added it into my files !!!!!

Johnny

Here's the decal I have in my collection.

Bob, the magazine is rare. I have one as well and have maybe only ever seen another two copies of it. It has a great image on the first page of Walt Disney holding the art as well as an accompanying short article.

blogdonald.JPG

The tab at the top says Victorville while the tab at the bottom says Army Air Field.

Here's the decal I have in my collection.

Bob, the magazine is rare. I have one as well and have maybe only ever seen another two copies of it. It has a great image on the first page of Walt Disney holding the art as well as an accompanying short article.

attachicon.gifblogdonald.JPG

The tab at the top says Victorville while the tab at the bottom says Army Air Field.

Dave,

This the first wet transfer decal I have seen of this design and the first time I've seen it

used in conjunction with a text flash and rocker. Great image! Thanks much for posting it.

Question; Was this emblem created for the Victorville Army Flying School or the USAAF

Bombardier Training School based at this facility?

Reason I'm asking is that I've seen several WWI era emblems for the Victorville AFS that

bears the image of an American Eagle in profile, in a diving attitude, with an aerial bomb

clutched in its talons.

Here's a roster of known WWII units assigned to the Victorville Army Flying School;

* 87th Air Base Squadron (November 1941 – April 1944) (Administrative Headquarters Unit)

* 3035th AAF Base Unit, (April 1944 – November 1945) (Administrative Headquarters Unit)

* USAAC/USAAF Advanced Flight School (June 1941 – December 1944)

* USAAF Bombardier School (June 1941 – December 1944)

* Army Air Force Radar Observer School (September 1944 – October 1945)

* 516th, 517th, 518th Basic Flight Training Squadron (November 1941 – February 1944)

* 520th, 521st, 522d, 524th Bombardier Training Squadron (January 1942 – April 1944)

* 983d, 984th, 985th Bombardier Training Squadron (July 1942 – April 1944)

Was the Disney version an earlier or perhaps later design for the Victorville station?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob. i had my whole collection out for show and tell this past weekend. A good friend from Minnesotta was visitng and we spent eight glorious hours together looking at pretty much every item in my collection -single items and groups of artifacts. I have put a lot of it back into storage now.

I'm wondering if the article in the Bombs Away publication might provide an answer to your question. There is a short article with an image of Walt holding the finished art and on the inside of the cover page I recall a short blurb about the design as well. One of those two write-ups might have the info. My copy is in storage. I can dig it out if need be.

The entry I have from my database, which was gleaned from the material on hand at the Walt Disney Company Archives, indicates the design was created near the end of March 1944 for the "Victorville Army Air Force Base." That is all it says. Based on that entry, I would assume the design was created for either the 3035th AAF Base Unit as it was a headquarters unit and the time frame seems right, or the USAAF Bombardier School. I'm leaning more towards Cookieman's identification though. The USAAF Bombardier School existed from June 1941 to December 1944. I wouldn't think they'd wait that long to request a design, seeing as though they'd been around since June 1941.

Johnny Signor

Here's one image I have of the design Bob's talking about I just found it while trying to find the "Decal" image Dave posted ..........

Bob , note the date on the black and white Grad booklet 44-3 so it seems that both the Eagle and Donald were I there about the same time, but it looks to me that the Eagle may have been first..........

post-2068-0-25613000-1439269708.jpg

post-2068-0-14167300-1439269735.jpg

Hi Bob. i had my whole collection out for show and tell this past weekend. A good friend from Minnesotta was visitng and we spent eight glorious hours together looking at pretty much every item in my collection -single items and groups of artifacts. I have put a lot of it back into storage now.

I'm wondering if the article in the Bombs Away publication might provide an answer to your question. There is a short article with an image of Walt holding the finished art and on the inside of the cover page I recall a short blurb about the design as well. One of those two write-ups might have the info. My copy is in storage. I can dig it out if need be.

The entry I have from my database, which was gleaned from the material on hand at the Walt Disney Company Archives, indicates the design was created near the end of March 1944 for the "Victorville Army Air Force Base." That is all it says. Based on that entry, I would assume the design was created for either the 3035th AAF Base Unit as it was a headquarters unit and the time frame seems right, or the USAAF Bombardier School. I'm leaning more towards Cookieman's identification though. The USAAF Bombardier School existed from June 1941 to December 1944. I wouldn't think they'd wait that long to request a design, seeing as though they'd been around since June 1941.

Dave,

Thanks for your feedback on this topic.

I did some more checking and realized that the 3035th Army Air Forces Base Unit did not assume command of

Victorville Army Air Field until April, 1944, so the timeline you have suggested relating to a possible design change

certainly has merit.

I have one more source to check out on this subject that hopefully may give us some definitive answers to the question

of 'which came first...the eagle or the duck', but I'm inclined now to think that your position is correct and that the

Disney design came into being when the 3035thAAFBU took over command of the Victorville facility.

Thanks again for your input on this this topic.

Bob

Here's one image I have of the design Bob's talking about I just found it while trying to find the "Decal" image Dave posted ..........

Bob , note the date on the black and white Grad booklet 44-3 so it seems that both the Eagle and Donald were I there about the same time, but it looks to me that the Eagle may have been first..........

Johnny,

That is the image I was referring to, and thanks for posting them.

I think you and Dave may have hit on something about the DD emblem being a replacement design in early 1944,

and I may have a follow up posting concerning these two insignia in a day or so.

Thanks again amigo for posting the 'eagle' emblem.

Bob

Johnny Signor

Hey Bob, always glad to share images when I hope they can help etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you find anything else on the two please post , all the best !!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

This is what the hobby is all about...sharing items, information, and helping each other figure out the answers to unanswered questions.

:D