Handcart

Arjen

Found this handcart in a barn.

post-159373-0-69960500-1438987991.jpg

post-159373-0-11286600-1438988014.jpg

The drawbar is missing.

I don’t think an original is available.

So I want to make one myself.

Has anybody clear pictures or even exact drawings, I be obliged.

Greetings Arjen.

Yes it is a U.S. item. They have been around a long long time. There were several different types. My favorite handcart had a .30 water cooled mounted on it.

These carts were pulled by soldiers or could be pulled by a jeep.

Ronnie

One of the most popular small US Army 'vehicles' of WW2 is without doubt the M3A4 Hand Cart.A general misconception is that this was an Airborne item and only used by paratroops. In fact the Cart was a standard Ordnance item used by every branch of the US Army to haul ammunition and equipment.Two carts could be transported in the back of the 2 1/2 Ton Trucks on the floor of the bed between the rows of seated troops.Many collectors say these carts were intended to be drawn by the Cushman Model 53 Airborne Scooter, but neither the Hand Cart manual, nor the Cushman manual describe this. Furthermore these hand carts had been in use for many years before the Cushman scooter was put into production and there are no WW2 pictures showing this practice around...

Although the earliest Army carts were fitted with motorcycle wheels, they are completely different from the carts issued to the US Marine Corps, which were equipped with the larger 19" 'motorcycle style' rims. The latter were not used by the US Army during their European campaign.

The US Army had several different types and models of Carts in inventory over the years preceding WW2 but during the war the most common model used in the ETO was the M3A4.The M3A4 was derived directly from the pre-war carts developed by the US Army Infantry Board in the 1930s. These early carts were equipped with motorcycle wheels and tires and were described in the July-August 1936 edition of the Infantry Journal.

Found this info online pretty cool cart i have to say

Here's an early handcart like CjVI is talking about with the spoked wheels. Earlier handcarts hand old wagon wheels.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-52392400-1439053861.jpg

Post #5, that cart is an RL-16 wire cart.

Post #6 are M1 Wheeled Machinegun Mounts.

The original cart in Post #1 is a M1942 USMC cart. Many were given to the Dutch after WW2. The one in my collection came from Holland a few years ago.

Salvage Sailor

Thanks Robin,

Although the spokes and hub are similar, the box didn't look the same on the photo examples and the OP's actual cart.

What are the primary differences between an Army cart and USMC cart?

The M1942 USMC cart is made to disassemble. The draw bar and wheels have quick release fittings so they can be removed from the cart body easily. That's why the OP's cart is missing the drawbar. You can see the open socket at the front center of his cart's body where the drawbar attaches.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm looking for some repro parts to finish an M4A3 hand cart, specifically a drawbar and a towing pintle that fits into the towbar.

panzerbait

Does anybody have a source for reproduction hand cart parts? Looking for a drawbar and a towing pintle!