Gerber Mk II Combat Knife

Rolf

I bought this at the Ft. Lewis PX in 1970. I blued blade by using the Gerber bluing kit. White stitching broke and was replaced by olive green heavy duty nylon thread. Leather tie-down thong rotted and broke. It was replaced by an olive green nylon tie down.

It even drew blood once ... my buddy was admiring the knife and while talking, absent-mindly drew the knife blade across his cheek, shaving fashion. Three times! He had to have the doc patch his 3 gashes.

Just sharing a piece of my past.

post-900-0-35803600-1438915907.jpg

Rolf

Very nice Gerber ! There are many collectors that would love to add one to their collection. Thank you for the posting and sharing the story.

Tony

Nice Gerber

One thing I spotted though - has the top section of the scabbard been repaired?

Looks like a new leather section, either that or the part that retains the M1910 hook was folded the wrong way at the factory.

Hello Saddler,

The picture does appear to have a repair but it is just an optical illusion created by the camera.

Here's the front and rear of the top of the scabbard. Please excuse the poor pictures.

post-900-0-93799100-1439606134.jpg

By the way, your avatar is interesting. "Cry havoc and release the Hamster of war!

Hello Saddler,

The picture does appear to have a repair but it is just an optical illusion created by the camera.

Here's the front and rear of the top of the scabbard. Please excuse the poor pictures.

attachicon.gifScabbard top.jpg

By the way, your avatar is interesting. "Cry havoc and release the Hamster of war!

Ah - digital resolution strikes again!

Had a feeing it was in the same place as the where the rear of the folded section ended.

The original rivets & white thread should have been a clue.

Hamster indeed!! That's one of many guinea pigs...over 70 highly trained killers kept ready to strike - if the an army of carrots ever tries to invade we're ready for them....

The illusion in this case is more optical than digital in nature. One of the problems that what we see isn't always what is actually there. More to do with the nature of photography translating a 3 dimensional item to a 2 dimensional likeness.

Hamster indeed!! That's one of many guinea pigs...over 70 highly trained killers kept ready to strike - if the an army of carrots ever tries to invade we're ready for them....

:D

"Semper Paratus"!