Montana

Hey, everyone. I'm in Bozeman, Montana for a few days. My cousin is getting hitched, so I needed to get my seashore-loving behind out to Big Sky Country for the next week. We're debating making the trip out to Little Bighorn, but I have the feeling it would be well worth the six hours in the car to get there and back.

Any other suggestions for places to see and/or shops to do a little bit of picking?

Many thanks,

-- Jon

Jon, There's a few antique malls and shops which sometimes come up with military items. A large one is on Huffine Ln and another one is located on Main Street, downtown. . Also a pawn shop named "Nu2Yu" that has firearms and related items. Always a hit and miss deal since Bozeman usually caters to folks who collect Western memorabilia. Good luck!

Little Bighorn is worth the drive if you have a day to make the trip, also there are some decent Antique shops in downtown Billings Mt on the way to the battle field

Most are on Montana Ave. you can typically find some military items in Billings, over priced frequently but some times good stuff shows up.

• 1 year later...

Most of the antique shops all across Montana should have something military related. I got a killer USAAF bomber oxygen tank for $20 that way!

• 6 months later...

Been living in MT about 4 years now up by Ennis MT. Most antique stores have a few things some one all ready said Bozeman. I use to live in Caif the picking are less in MT than there. Did buy a civil war set of Minié balls a bullet from both sides for 20 bucks at a Antique mall in Bozeman that some one all ready said its location. But weapons are more easy to find. At the local gun store Shedhorn sports Ennis MT I got a Remington rand 1911 US Army issue Cir. 1944 all most mint then at a gun show got a Mauser p-38 Cir. 1943 and no bluing lost no import marks so a bring back that I got a great price on. And a Argentine Federal issue bolo knife with scabbard at a Antique show in Billing during winter had to get out of the house and took a long drive to it. You have to look hard.

Hayes is in Missoula on Hwy 93 North.

Helena isn't to far and was where the First Special Service Force trained during the war.

Were the First Special Service Force trained was at Fort Harrison it's were the VA hospital is gave a few vets rides to it.

Yes they trained there.

Hey, everyone. I'm in Bozeman, Montana for a few days. My cousin is getting hitched, so I needed to get my seashore-loving behind out to Big Sky Country for the next week. We're debating making the trip out to Little Bighorn, but I have the feeling it would be well worth the six hours in the car to get there and back.

Any other suggestions for places to see and/or shops to do a little bit of picking?

Many thanks,

-- Jon

Little Big Horn is EXTREMELY interesting from my point of view (see warning below). The Park Guides describe the narrative of the battle, and there is a graveyard for the soldiers whose bodies were collected (note their ages and foreign (many Irish) names, and random tombstones for soldiers who were not collected, but buried where they fell. Was almost a days ride (coming and going) off my route across country as I recall, but turned out to be one of the highlights.

Now the warning: I also love just about ALL old western cemeteries around old "Ghost Towns". While the wife is in the souvineer shops I drive over to the cemetery. My favorite was in Silver City NV I found a huge monument there with this inscription: "Here lies (I forget the name) hanged by his friends (I forget the exact date but the year was 1876) for cheating at cards". Then at the bottom in smaller letters: " This monument erected by his friends"

GO - You'll enjoy

Art

Watta dope I am - I just noticed the date on your post - you're probably home already. Anyway, hope you went.....

• 11 months later...

Kinda off topic but I really would like to know how bad the fire/smoke conditions are in the northern part of Montana. We will be passing through Sept 4th, on to Banff and then coming back down to Livingston, MT around Sept 15th for a week. How's it looking out there? I know that Glazier Park in on fire and someone told me that many people are cancelling trips. I can cancel some motels but not the week long cabin we have reserved. Ouch!

Just wondering if we should be worried or just wait and then panic later. Btw, thanks to all with the good antique mall suggestions.

Steve

Hayes would be good place if you had called him before " just showing up". Usually does not allow visitors, if you knew him, maybe?