Ruptured Duck

buzzard517

Can someone help me with when the issue of ducks were discontinued? I've seen a few 11th Airborne Ike's lately,that are early 50's with ruptured ducks sewn on. Everything else about them was correct, but I didn't think the RD could be right.

Can someone help me with when the issue of ducks were discontinued? I've seen a few 11th Airborne Ike's lately,that are early 50's with ruptured ducks sewn on. Everything else about them was correct, but I didn't think the RD could be right.

They weren't discontinued, but they only applied to a specific group, that being personnel who were honorably discharged from service during WWII.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/HeraldryMulti.aspx?CategoryId=14&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services

In other words, no one who was still in the Army would wear it because it indicated you were discharged or seperated from service, and no one who served after WWII would get one because it indicated service during WWII. So, no, they should not be on Ike Jackets from the 1950's.

Thanks,B229. That's what I always assumed. I think it may be a case of someone trying to pass post war Ikes off as ww2 by adding the ruptured duck.

2ndInf.Div.

Buzzard, I don't think so. I have an absolutely MINT 11th Airborne set from the 50's that I was given. The family kept the awards, but otherwise it's all there. I was always confused about the ruptured duck being on there; glad to see a topic about it. I can post pictures later today.

2ndInf.Div.

Here you go. Like I said, the family kept the awards, but otherwise it's as-is. I have the guy's name and residence, but unfortunately no ASN, discharge form, etc. Same laundry number is present on the cap, jacket, and trousers. Like I said, I was always puzzled by the ruptured duck, but I have absolutely no reason to believe that this is a fake or put-together uniform.

post-80799-0-61405500-1439142493.jpg

2ndInf.Div.

Stitching on the ruptured duck. Matches the same style of stitching on both of the patches and stripes. Interesting that there's so much extra thread, but there's a few different areas on the Ike where there's several long threads.

post-80799-0-84325800-1439142703.jpg

Hmm...that's just like one I picked up recently. M50 Ike with the od on blue chevrons and a duck. Seems like it's been on there a long time,but by all accounts shouldn't be. Nice 76th Abn Tank Bn. jacket, by the way.

5th RCT combat patch, a vet of the 5th RCT Tank Company no doubt. Curious about the RD, maybe an unofficial application?

Were there any indications of an oval sewn to the pocket flap, or could that clutches be Jump wings? I ask this as I'm curious if every individual in this Tank Battalion in this early period was or had to be Jump Qualified.

I always figured it was a 5th RCT combat vet who was transferred to the 11th and became a tanker perhaps? Looks like jump wings were definitely there; nothing about an oval.

I always figured it was a 5th RCT combat vet who was transferred to the 11th and became a tanker perhaps? Looks like jump wings were definitely there; nothing about an oval.

Probably always was a tanker, the 5th RCT like most Infantry Regiments then had a organic Tank Company, question was when he became a paratrooper, before korean combat service or after. If before, not that big of a problem as he, despite his jump school credits, was most likely shipped out soon after graduation.

If he was a tanker, would he have earned a CIB? Didn't see imprints for one on the inside.....had me confused.

Nah all that stuff changed after WWII, now non Infantry in Infantry Regiments didn't get the CIBs.

Very interesting and a great uniform too! I wonder if this was something only done in the 11th Abn? I was curious and did a few searches on ebay and came up with this uniform:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARMY-WOOL-JACKET-W-11TH-AIRBORNE-DIVISION-PATCH-PARATROOPER-ENAMELED-PINS-1952-/231646976854?hash=item35ef3c5b56

Poor quality photos, unfortunately, but it's an M1950 Jacket with the P1951 chevrons, period appropriate domed silver brass, and a discharge emblem. I can't imagine someone faking the uniform of an AG Corps clerk, so it's most likely a real uniform.

post-5617-0-07952000-1439307102.jpg

11thABAngels

I figured I'd take a chance and put a bid on this jacket and won.

All the insignia looks original to the jacket. The jump wings are clutch back and "Sterling" marked. They definitely have been there awhile as there are marks on the liner.

The Ruptured Duck patch is sewn with what looks like newer thread. I'm limited to my posts since I just joined so I'll try to add as much as I can to this discussion today.

post-159826-0-11169900-1439838004.jpg

post-159826-0-91514200-1439838005.jpg

post-159826-0-19179700-1439838007.jpg

Close-up of the duck.

As was in most cases, the Discharge Badge was sewn on at a different time then the rest of the insignia. The shoulder patch or patches, ranks, overseas bars, service stripes (if any, in this last case) were already on the IKE or 4 pocket, with the RD being sewn on really as the serviceman was being discharged, the same would apply to the Marine Corps and Navy, though of course the Marines had no overseas bars.

11thABAngels

As was in most cases, the Discharge Badge was sewn on at a different time then the rest of the insignia. The shoulder patch or patches, ranks, overseas bars, service stripes (if any, in this last case) were already on the IKE or 4 pocket, with the RD being sewn on really as the serviceman was being discharged, the same would apply to the Marine Corps and Navy, though of course the Marines had no overseas bars.

I agree with you there. But why does this 1952 Ike have a Ruptured Duck? As Buzzard517 and 2ndInfDiv have stated above, they have seen other 50s dated 11th AB Ikes with the RD.

One thing I've seen with these 50s 11th AB Ikes is that they have the "Khaki" color Ruptured Duck sewn on them. Really what is with these 11th AB post-WW2 Ike Jackets with "Khaki" Ruptured Ducks?

I agree with you there. But why does this 1952 Ike have a Ruptured Duck? As Buzzard517 and 2ndInfDiv have stated above, they have seen other 50s dated 11th AB Ikes with the RD.

One thing I've seen with these 50s 11th AB Ikes is that they have the "Khaki" color Ruptured Duck sewn on them. Really what is with these 11th AB post-WW2 Ike Jackets with "Khaki" Ruptured Ducks?

Your guess is as good as mine :D