Pennsylvania: Roadside Military Patch Display

gwb123

Something I just came across...

http://mycarmageddon.com/2014/06/a-service-for-our-servicemen-women/

"Along the Lincoln Highway in Bedford County, Pennsylvania sits a pretty unassuming little truck stop. The Gateway Travel Plaza was originally opened in 1940 by Merle & Marian Snyder. The current site was built across the street from the original in 1994 as more room was needed for the expanding operation. The Gateway was a pivotal travel point for soldiers & sailors who were headed from the Midwest to stations east during World War II. A barter system developed as the Snyders would often trade food or fuel for a military patch. After a while, servicemen would stop by and often give a patch as a tribute to the service The Gateway provided for our armed forces."

If you click on the photos, they enlarge very nicely.

When you posted that, my first thought was "Breezewood." Like you I have roots in Central PA: I've been going through the Breezewood interchange for over 60 years, but I never saw that exhibit and the way family things have changed I doubt I'll ever get back to PA. Wouldn't be surprised if I walked right by them as a kid. Add this to the many interesting things in life it's easy to overlook.