9th Army Air Forces Glider pilot Dress uniform/grouping

RedStateRanger

Regarding the colored bar patch, it might be a "arm of service" strip. They would identify the specific service (artillery, ordnance, e.t.c), on a Commonwealth soldier's uniform.

Here is a link I found: http://www.petergh.f2s.com/armstrips.html

That was my initial thought but wanted to ask if someone knew positively. I wonder if he may have been a liaison to a Brit or Canadian unit.

Maybe one of our British collectors can chime in.

RedStateRanger

The pilot flew in Op Market Garden. Here are some picts from the pilot's family and who attended the dedication of the 9th Troop Carrier Command memorial in Son, Holland in 2012. The memorial is located at the site where the 437th TCG landed members of the 82nd Abn in Sep 1944. Will add more, next post.

post-155290-0-97095200-1440253090.jpg

post-155290-0-88528200-1440253101.jpg

post-155290-0-85344800-1440253130.jpg

RedStateRanger

Grouping includes a nice Ike jacket with but with one SSI attached. Sorry, editor wouldn't let me rotate the pict.

post-155290-0-22285700-1440269799.jpg

RedStateRanger

The following info provided by Jonesy1275, ref the pilot grouping and his glider mission into Normandy:

Glider was tail number CG-4A 43-27453.

They flew in Formation Position #52 (last place) in Mission Detroit Serial 28 from Ramsbury Airfield taking various units of the 82nd AB to LZ 'O' on the morning of the 6th of June where the landing time was approximately 0407.

The C-47 tow aircraft was 42-100803

1st Lt Jack Lawson - Pilot

2nd Lt Donald Handegaard - Co-Pilot

T/Sgt Henry Maranz - Crew Chief

Sgt Charles Kittle - Radio Operator

Thanks again Jonesy, for the research and assistance, and I really like your Face Book page Honoring 9th Troop Carrier Command. https://www.facebook.com/IXtroopcarriercommand Awesome picts and info.

Here are some other uniform details. I don't recognize the ribbon with oak leaf cluster.

The ribbon is a Presidential Unit Citation Ribbon with Oak Leaf Cluster.

Devin

Who made the khaki jacket?

Are the ribbons pinback or clutchback?

Ike jacket is likely from training I would think.

It's awesome you are finding out so much more information.

-Brian

Mark, you're welcome. Luckily I've been researching the 437th TCG for some time due to the group being stationed at Ramsbury Airfield only 18 miles from my house.

RedStateRanger

-Brian

Will see what I can find out about the uniform maker and ribbons. I overlooked that in the excitement of taking the pictures? Finding out more each day.

RedStateRanger

Mark, you're welcome. Luckily I've been researching the 437th TCG for some time due to the group being stationed at Ramsbury Airfield only 18 miles from my house.

Neil,

The pilot and his family visited Ramsbury in the mid 80's. Spoke very fondly of the people there and it brought back some great memories. I'm told that one of the sons captured 10 hours of HD video recording of his Dad's oral history of the war including the missions flown from Ramsbury. Haven't seen that video yet but may include Ramsbury footage. Also looking online for a copy of Ramsbury at War which is said to have some great picts. That video might be of interest to others so I'm hoping to get a copy.

Cheers,

Mark

RedStateRanger

WOW!

Did you get it yet ?

Haven't made an offer yet. Still several footlockers of gear and materials. Trying to help family to create an inventory but, the "grouping" is currently ungrouped and resides in several States. May be a long term project so I hope to keep learning and posting more each week. From what I can tell this grouping probably belongs in a real museum somewhere.

RedStateRanger

-Brian

Brian

Here are additional picts of the label and how ribbons, lapel insignia, and Lt bars are attached. Need to add posts to load picts. Coat tailor made in Louisville, KY.

post-155290-0-23700400-1440367752.jpg

RedStateRanger

-Brian

Ribbon bar and Lt bars are both pin backs. The lapel insignia are clutch back. BTW, Rodes opened in 1914 and is still in business in Louisiville, though at a new location.

post-155290-0-22933400-1440367916.jpg

post-155290-0-91281900-1440367926.jpg

Patchcollector

Wow,stunning stuff!I must say that those guys had great foresight to save the star and the chunk of tow rope and attachment hook that was on the glider when it landed!

And for the star being returned back to him years later is almost miraculous.If there were'nt so much documentation I would think that this was made up!This historical group would surely interest some prestigious Museums!

• 2 weeks later...

CG-4A 43-27453 NW was a 1943 contract article likely delivered in very early 1944. Therefore, NW delivered it with Star and Bars insignia NOT just the star. So, the farmer omitted or cut off the bars. How does this affect the value?

How about putting up a close-up photo of the tow line and fittings? And, measure the diameter of the line.

Any reason this man's name is a secret?

CDay

doinworkinvans

Any reason this man's name is a secret?

CDay

I beleive he is working with the family, and out of respect, he may not want to post it.

Also, posting names can be a double edge sword.

I am sure we will find out more soon enough.

Obviously, A rock solid group, so at this point name isnt all that important.

The color bar is a British formation tab, look at Heros in our midst by forum member Jack Angolia, there is a section on the glider pilots and this type of tab. Paul

there is a picture of the star in this thread? can you not see it?

he said he doesn't have most of this stuff in hand yet so I don't think he has pics of the rope yet.

Brobs, the question is, are the bars on the star. The bars do not show, yet, on one side it appears the bar may be folded under. On the opposite side there is something vertical that is not the same shade blue as is the star and does not look like the bar.