9th Army Air Forces Glider pilot Dress uniform/grouping

RedStateRanger

I can't help with the star and that debate, but as far as the uniform is concerned, it is 100% right as rain. No questions asked (and no need to dissect it further!) :)

Beautiful group!!!!

doinworkinvans

Good to see you back RedStateRanger!! Everything looks 100% perfect! As has been said many times this is a stellar group! Couldn't ask for better. Thanks for the updates.

RedStateRanger

Would this then be a Brach Flash for the Royal Air Force? I know it doesn't conform to colors I can see (again don't have my British Army Uniform Books anymore). Also drawing misses in online searches for RAF sleeve flash and other keywords.

It is a RAF flash and the GP did train Brits in CG4As. This GP was actually a Flight Officer it turns out. Got his comission late in the war and went on to fly B-17s post-war.

RedStateRanger

Good to see you back RedStateRanger!! Everything looks 100% perfect! As has been said many times this is a stellar group! Couldn't ask for better. Thanks for the updates.

Thanks! Got busy this summer teaching wilderness survival classes in VA and WV?

Meetings with family have revealed more items and details so additional pictures are coming. Cheers.

RedStateRanger

Researching the grouping I recently came across the WACO Historical Society in Troy OH, the town where CG-4A Gliders were first designed and many were built. My GP grouping has a piece of tow rope. This pict from the WACO Museum shows a connector plug still attached in a rusted out glider frame front-end. The next pict has a long rope and the connector that would plug into the glider.

post-155290-0-54827500-1447337232.jpeg

RedStateRanger

This may be getting off topic a bit, but at the USAF Museum in Dayton I discovered a clear window in the floor of a CG-4A. Anyone know what that window was for? It was located just in front of the rear set of skids. There also appeared to be a translucent panel on the top of the glider fuselage, directly above the lower window. Maybe just to let some light in?

post-155290-0-46053000-1447338073.jpeg

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
WWIIinterviews

I know I'm a little late to this party, but I have been wondering about this over the past few months.

It seems like maybe the star emblem on the CG-4A's may have been different dimensions. Were the stars on the wings different sizes compared to the star on the hull? Also, since different manufacturers made those gliders, maybe they each had their own specs on how big to paint them?