Blood Chit For Review

cmt04444

doinworkinvans

$125 would be a steal for an all leather blood chit....however this one looks pretty new. That hump between the US flag and Chinese flag stikes me as new leather. Is there a shot of the back?

$125 would be a steal for an all leather blood chit....however this one looks pretty new. That hump between the US flag and Chinese flag stikes me as new leather. Is there a shot of the back?

The hump in the middle is from it being folded and loosely laid out.

BlueBookGuy

Should be original to period, simply it's "too new" and possibly, looks like not too appealing to a collector - at least I'm speaking for myself.

In these condition one could guess it's too immaculate to be an original one, keeping aside the matter of being more or less fascinating if looking with a bit of history with it.

Look for the subdued white/red stripes having been slightly printed on the other half, due to it having stayed folded for much time without doubt. Most possibly this had been purchased in very "fresh" state (blue and red pigments just added to leather) and soon kept folded without having chance to be soiled or stained.

As for the price, $125 could be the right one, you can have a quick look around and especially on eBay (not to speak of what are some starting prices..) and can see for yourself.

Here just a shot of mine - more worn and soiled (and once sewn on who knows what flight jacket..), the classic pattern is 98% the same. Just, less "new".

Franco.

post-151851-0-90599300-1438806668.jpg

From what is shown of the first one that started this post it looks real to me.Scotty

I like it too. you can see where the stripes from the flag bled onto the chop mark area from being folded over. Stuff takes time to do that.

doinworkinvans

Or fresh dye....

But hey, CMT04444 - these guys have been doing this longer than me, so I would go with them. If they say its OK then I suppose I am wrong.

I guess for me and my opinion, I would just want one that had that ""been there done that"" look to it.

I suppose Im just a sceptic when it comes to militaria, and heir on the side of caution.

Good luck, $125 is a good price.

-Daniel

I guess for me and my opinion, I would just want one that had that ""been there done that"" look to it.

Sometimes that 'been there done that look' is freshly done and it hasn't 'been there' at all. ;)

Or fresh dye....

You have to take into consideration that this chit and many others are referred to as "souvenir" chits. These were fabricated by the local populace being sold and purchased on the open market in market centers. In most cases they were purchased by the service member and placed in the foot locker or sent home as a gift of sorts. Unless specifically identified I would prefer these chits to be in as new condition as possible if I were to add them to my collection.

BlueBookGuy

To be more precise IMPO: it appears to be original but just the photo isn't 100% all that safety - so it looks to me. I handled many of these classic pattern; an original one (in some ways worn and used) somehow "talks to you", in certain ways a faker would have a hard time to replicate. Not easy at all to explain by words.

Surely its look is too fresh and (personally) I wouldn't go after it, as for it's my concept of collecting. More often than not, specimens in used and (slightly) worn state do appear here and there for sale at fair prices. Just, it takes some time and patience of staying after them and asking the seller ALL the infos he can provide.

* A most important thing: not for nothing are these classic patterns (and many more) called "souvenir Blood Chit" - an airman would be invariably provided with something more officially issued, be it printed on silk (China-made and India-made) or rayon (US-made). These colorful leather Chits were so often purchased from local Indian artisan shops wich show up, in period photos, with literally dozens of them hanging from walls - virtually all identical between them.

In my opinion a brand new leather Chit, just made and purchased (more for souvenir than for anything else), then folded over and put into a plastic envelope and never being in contact with dirt, rain, never sewn on anything etc. will find itself necessarily still "new" on the way home and subsequently many years in a trunk, neatly folded over. This COULD explain its present look.

For what it's worth, I agree with the guys who say its original. Looks like a good one to me also. If I saw this one at a show for $125, I would grab it.

JD