Summer Service Coat /w Helmet & M1911 Pistol. 2nd Div. 15th Field Artillery

Shark Bait

I am very new here so I thought I would start by sharing a photo of my grandfather's uniform and helmet. There is also an original WWI era Colt .45 in the photo, but it did not belong to my grandfather. He served in E Battery 15th Field Artillery in 1918 and 1919. You will be seeing this photo elsewhere on this forum because I have some questions regarding his French Fourragere.

post-159625-0-07491900-1438730421.jpg

Infantry Grunt

You'll have to post some up close and personal pics of that .45 in the weapons sub forum. Welcome to USMF!

4th Miss Cav

Wonderful piece of family history. Could you possibly open up the uniform and take another pic of the patch on the sleeve. Thank you for posting.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

What do you want to know about the fourragere? Might be the photo, but that one looks shiny. The WW1 ones were duller and have a wool button tab.

John

Very nice to see this group is still in the family and is appreciated! Is it possible to see some pictures of the patch?

Mike

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Doesn't look like any pogey rope I'm used to.

I was thinking the same thing, but thought it was just my eyes! LOL

John

I have a few requests for more pictures, to include the patch. Until I can do that, here is a picture of one of his patches not sewn on.

post-159625-0-40201900-1438821955.jpg

The French Fourragere is odd because it is not in the colors of the Croix De Guerre. It appears to be something he acquired after, perhaps long after, his service. He was at Chateau-Thierry and Belleau Wood, for which the fourragere was awarded. His fourragere also has the two additional cords on the outside of the sleeve, which would indicate that he was in the action for which it was awarded and was authorized to wear it as an individual award. I have not been able to locate any documents that would confirm his award and I have requested his records from NARA. I'm thinking he never received the correct fourragere. Here's another picture of it.

post-159625-0-34187300-1438822505.jpg

I think the red on the fourragere has faded to that light pink we see now. If you look closely in some of the nooks of the braid you may see the original red color. For some reason the red on some of these tended to fade to almost a tan color while the green remained vibrant. It looks very well made, perhaps it was produced and purchased privately in France? With his being an officer it wouldn't be unheard of to have had a different style or quality than what enlisted men, or even other officers had.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

t looks like it has faded. Is the one attachment tab a flat wool piece with a buttonhole stitched in it? You'll finde the pre-ww2 ones will have this, and be a duller color than the WW2 and later ones.

John

Nothing appears to be wool on the fourragere. The attachment loops are thin cords and one is nearly broken, It does appear that it could have originally been red and green. I opened the braided portion and found it to be light pink, but no red is left. I think it was 1920 when the French gave the award and he left service in 1919. I have no idea when he would have received it. He was very good about keeping documents, but I have not found any for awards. His discharge says he received no awards, but it was produced before the Victory Medal and fourragere would have been awarded (I think).

Too Much WW1 Militaria

The WW1 era ones would of had the wool fastening tab, and one thin cord to make the shoulder loop. I think this one is later, but that's ok, it all depends when he acquired it. The 2nd Division was entitled to it. To get the Victory medal, you had to apply for it. The vet typed up a form, submitted it with documentation, and part of the form with his address on it was cut out, and attached to the box used to ship the Victory Medal. If you have any questions, ask away!

John

Wow fantastic stuff. Any chance you have any accounts of your grandfather's experience? I have quite a bit of info on the 12th Field Artillery. Thank you for sharing

Semper Fi

Wow fantastic stuff. Any chance you have any accounts of your grandfather's experience? I have quite a bit of info on the 12th Field Artillery. Thank you for sharing

Semper Fi

Here are a few pages from his book of letters. I think I'll have to do this with three posts due to image sizes.

post-159625-0-13235400-1438983725.jpg

Here is a pretty interesting link to the 15 FA

http://www.landscaper.net/worldwar1.htm

​As far as the French FOURRAGÈRE of the Croix de Guerre, it really does not matter if it is WWI or WWII. The fact is that your Grandfather owned it and is part of his legacy of service to this great nation. Is the SSI on the uniform that same as the other one posted? Thanks for sharing the grouping and your Grandfathers experience in his letters.

Best regards,

John

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great group, all the better since it's your grandfather's!! I love the quote and seeing it in the original letter is icing on the cake! It is exciting that you value and will preserve this in your family for your descendants! What a well preserved group to an officer who was right there with the 2nd Division all along. So many times the best patches and painted helmets are to vets who joined the outfit late or even after the Armistice!! Thanks for sharing the group, but especially the letter! I look forward to seeing other items as you share them!!

David