Usage of the McKeever Box

Hello folks.

Recently, I acquired a model 1884 Springfield Trapdoor rifle and I have been doing some research on the accoutrements available for the rifle.

I understand that they were two common options as to carry ammunition: Mills cartridge belts and McKeever boxes. I am curious as of the purpose of the box, since it seems not very useful to carry ammo on the field.

I do own a McKeever box, but I am looking for a source for a mills belt.

Thanks in advance for the information!

hello,

to be 100% accurate (if really one wishes to be) a Model 1884 Springfiel rifle wich, actually, didn't come out before late 1886 (at about s/n #360,000) should go together with properly dated accoutrements wich were correct in the second half of 1880's.

But if, more simply, you wish to have a good display by means of an anyway not wrong item even if older pattern, the so-called "Prairie Belts" forerunner of the Mills cartridge belts were very common in late '70s, or the McKeever boxes were too.

Several sub-pattern of Mills belts were used, the early ones are today the scarcest and most expensive; also, more often than not their buckles are repros. More common are the later variant, and eventually the blue ones (infantry) from the very late Indian Wars or early American-Spanish War.

Will give you some sources for Mills belts if you want.

Franco.

post-151851-0-10084200-1439242066.jpg

This Mills Belt typical of early 1890s, with massive forged "H"-type buckle (not stamped) and blue-dyed canvas. One of the first ones in my collection.

post-151851-0-16604400-1439242179.jpg

here the so-called "Pattern 1885 Cavalry Belt", actually a true Mills belt as for construction but having a "Prairie Belt"- style buckle and of course its relative leather billet.

post-151851-0-13333800-1439242746.jpg

Hello USMC3439

Probably the most common belt would be the 1885 Calvary belt that bluebookguy posted, and the most reasonable, you can also find the earlier "prairie" belt sometimes for a good price. There are repros of the early belt on e-bay on a regular basis, you just have to keep an eye out under "Indian War" category

Here are some photos of the early prairie belt and some of the earliest belts and buckles

309560843.jpg

First stamped buckle

405998150.jpg

1880 buckle

309560842.jpg

And an 1882 buckle

405634189.jpg

And then you will need some of the little "accoutrements" or trinkets ;)

79497294.jpg

409778782.jpg

Don

This belt could be somehow much scarcer than even the very earliest pattern Mills Belts, it's a 2nd Pattern 'Prairie Belt' (Watervliet Arsenal, about 1879) wich was field-dyed Blue for Infantry use.

Indeed uncommon to have survived in great conditions having just the 'Indigo Blue' faded, mainly at front side. But still solid and complete - it had been field-modified by removing two loops from the original 54 in order to somehow shortening, thus blued.

A Springfield infantry rifle would go great with this. Cannot write here how many overtime hours to get this one.. but I wanted it too much.

post-151851-0-35822100-1439277364.jpg

• 1 year later...