Grenade color

jerseyshoreed

I have a 37mm that's got the orange tint to it, it's hard to say if its from age or it actually has a tint to it. It don't really matter what anybody else thinks as long as you like it.

I don't know about age? Maybe, but it's been my experience with paints in general that they fade with age, not darken or change shades. If you are talking 'stains' I would agree that they will change over time as will wood products.

I asked a question regarding this issue a couple weeks ago and got little in response. I do know that the red pre WWII practice grenades aren't a vivid red either. They too appear to have a orange/red tint to them. Maybe the military spec's for the colors changed over time? They may have started out with the orange tint and after the war started changed to an more canary yellow. The pure yellow may have been cheaper or easier to get. No mixing required.

The rifle grenade you picture looks correct but the frag not so much. At least to my eyes.

I really wish someone could come up with the specs for these. I've looked through several TM's and found nothing specific on the color but I know it had to be defined somewhere.

Anybody have any early color WWII pictures showing soldiers with yellow grenades?

Persian Gulf Command

There is a very simple explanation regarding the yellow paint applied to Pre/Early WW2 high explosive ordinance; more lead in the paint resulted in a more yellow while more cadmium in the paint resulted in a more orange color. The carrier of the pigment was linseed oil, which darkens with age. In the late 30's -early 40's paint suppliers ground the pigments, mixed them in the linseed oil and then made yellow that could have been any shade of yellow. Go to a paint store today and ask for samples of yellow and you will see many different shades of that color and as was in the past this variation is the result of differences in the pigment ratios.

I do not believe that there was a specification regarding the shade of yellow that the Ordinance Department specified because everyone knew yellow when they saw it. Think about it, if the batch of grenades came from the painter a distinct orange color wouldn't that be a grounds for rejection.

If you have a yellow or yellow/orange grenade it is simply the result of the original tint of the paint and how much darkening the linseed oil has undergone in 70 or so years.

jerseyshoreed - Looks good for a modern restoration we will just have to see if it convinces our grandkids when they become collectors.

jerseyshoreed

Thanks Persian Gulf you gave me a great idea . I'm thinking of this nitro Amber toner used to make new guitars like Fender look like there vintage counterparts. It would definitely give that bright yellow an orange hue to it without being completely orange

PGC,

Thanks for that info. I agree with everything you've said except maybe the part about specifications. Knowing the government I would suspect that they specified right down to the nats A** on everything they contracted out. This discussion reminds me of an old movie. Myrna Loy's character is trying to tell the painter what color to paint the walls.

Myrna Loy/Muriel Blandings: I want it to be a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green. Now, the dining room. I'd like yellow. Not just yellow; a very gay yellow. Something bright and sunshine-y. I tell you, Mr. PeDelford, if you'll send one of your men to the grocer for a pound of their best butter, and match that exactly, you can't go wrong! Now, this is the paper we're going to use in the hall. It's flowered, but I don't want the ceiling to match any of the colors of the flowers. There's some little dots in the background, and it's these dots I want you to match. Not the little greenish dot near the hollyhock leaf, but the little bluish dot between the rosebud and the delphinium blossom. Is that clear? Now the kitchen is to be white. Not a cold, antiseptic hospital white. A little warmer, but still, not to suggest any other color but white. Now for the powder room - in here - I want you to match this thread, and don't lose it. It's the only spool I have and I had an awful time finding it! As you can see, it's practically an apple red. Somewhere between a healthy winesap and an unripened Jonathan.

I don't know what kind of paint you used, but it might help to use a primer first. It looks like you used Krylon paint directly on the grenade and the paint looks like it settled in pools and is starting to fill in the letter stampings. You may have more luck using something akin to school bus yellow for tint.

Dirt Detective

Here are some pics of original WWII yellow ordnance. I feel different sub contractors might have a different shade of yellow.

post-2677-0-22791700-1438920911.jpg

post-2677-0-88542400-1438920925.jpg

Dirt Detective

I believe this was posted before by a member here, sorry cant remember who. This was said to be a mint grenade pulled from the can.

post-2677-0-36311700-1438922111.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Mr blandings builds his dream house, great movie. This talk about yellow shades does remind me of that movie acene

Dirt Detective

Thanks for posting the different shades Dirt Detective, looks like colors really varied.

When i restored my 42 Jeep, I learned there were lots of shades of Olive Drab. As you are seeing, there is not a lot written on the US Grenade. :(

I remember seeing that supposedly mint yellow grenade posting. I didn't say anything at the time and I sure don't mean to upset anyone now but there are a couple things about that grenade that I find perplexing and it isn't the color.

It's hard to see but it appears to me to be a solid bottom grenade body. If so it is late in the game for yellow paint. The fuse head is definitely WWII like but it has a short lever and the pull ring also appears to be the earlier thin wire pull ring.

I would have to see that grenade in person to be sure of anything I've said here but that is my take on it from the picture above. It looks a bit mishmash to me.

I remember seeing that supposedly mint yellow grenade posting. I didn't say anything at the time and I sure don't mean to upset anyone now but there are a couple things about that grenade that I find perplexing and it isn't the color.

It's hard to see but it appears to me to be a solid bottom grenade body. If so it is late in the game for yellow paint. The fuse head is definitely WWII like but it has a short lever and the pull ring also appears to be the earlier thin wire pull ring.

I would have to see that grenade in person to be sure of anything I've said here but that is my take on it from the picture above. It looks a bit mishmash to me.

The even more obvious question, mint fresh out of the can would indicate it's a live grenade, a little on the "federally frowned on" side of the law to be posting on a public forum board. I agree with you, flat bottom doesn't go well with a original yellow painted grenade.

Dirt Detective

There are plenty of original WWII Yellow grenades with the solid bottom, Here is proof of yellow grenades being painted OD in theater. The pic is dated 8-43. Pics dont lie.. check close...all solid bottoms.

post-2677-0-97653200-1439081944.jpg

post-2677-0-09733500-1439081952.jpg