Vehicle markings WW2

Sorcerer1

I have recently acquired a WW2 jeep, Because my collection is being orientated towards the Railway operating Bn's in Europe, I decided to put markings on this jeep of the 712th Railway operating Bn. However being short of another 500 books ;-), I haven't found any information on the markings these units would have had.

I suppose "ASCZ" would be a step in the proper direction, but then its a mystery to me.

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Thanks

Guy

I've never seen a photo showing any Railway Operating Battalion (ROB) vehicle marked with COM-Z markings.

Your jeep should be marked as:

712 ROB [star] VEHICLE NUMBER

Each company of a ROB had a different task. I can't recall which one was which off the top of my head, but if you PM me, I can tell you which company you should mark it for if you can tell me what role you'd had in mind (people running the trains, the people maintaining them, the supply for those operations, they all had their own companies).

The 712th was mostly made up from railroaders from the Reading RR (pronounced as, "RED-ing" and not like you'd say you're reading a book, as most people playing the game Monopoly mispronounced it). Many railroads made up ROBs from their own people. Railroader was one of the few occupations that the Army would likely put you into a similar unit when you enlisted or got drafted.

FM55-55 is a good reference on the subject. I collect military RR TMs and stuff like that and would have marked my MB a long time ago as a ROB vehicle had I not had the interest in war correspondents.

Thanks for that.

I have sent you a mail, explaining some things.

I have in my collection an original foorlocker of a member of the 712th ROB, and that is what it all got started really.

I have a digital copy of the FM55-55, which is indeed good reading.

Guy