USAAF Type A-2 Tent - One man Survival Tent?

Scarecrow

Picked this up this morning at our monthly ASMIC Militaria Swap Meet. Not 100% sure just what it is. My guess is a 1 man survival tent. Heavily rubberized bottom (floor), canvas tenting material, snap in mosquito netting and zip up and down end vent windows. The end poles are each constructed of two piece galvanized steel. Did not have any assembly instructions but think I was able to figure it out correctly. If it is a survival tent, did it fold up into a seat pack like a dinghy? Can find nothing on the "net" about it. Every once in a while you find a mystery, this is mine for the month of August.
post-23999-0-33655100-1438544844.jpgpost-23999-0-29000400-1438544854.jpgpost-23999-0-33102700-1438544865.jpgpost-23999-0-00058000-1438544882.jpg

littlebuddy

Tent -field shelter ,One man Type A2

Parraffin treated airplane fabric with rubberized cotton duck floor . Has net window in each end and net for entrance

Spec No 94-3077

Thats as much as i know at the moment Paul , the info was taken from the CLASS 13 catolog of Sept 1943

LB

you could call it a "survival" tent but it had a dual purpose of being an emergency field shelter or bivouac shelter for field operations. It was designed and intended to be issued to units operating in arctic regions. These were often carried aboard aircraft when flying over long expanses of rugged terrain if in the event the aircraft had to make an emergency landing. Your tent is missing the 5th pole which is always missing, this pole supports the corner of the fly making for an awning you have it draped over the ridge of the tent. The poles are also unique to the tent and appear to be the right ones. The tent does not fold but rather rolled and secured by two lengths of a strap and carrying handle. the length is excessive much the M-1935 bedding roll to accommodate additional articles. in the case of the tent the pneumatic sleeping pad and sleeping bag could be rolled with the tent making for a complete unit. They were primarily used on an individual basis but 2 were included in the E-12 arctic sustenance kit. By 1944 the A-2 tent was no longer procured being replaced by the 2 man mountain tent.

pictured is one variant of the handle and straps.

post-56-0-67503300-1438620935.jpg

littlebuddy

Dustin to the rescue again !! I must have been looking in the wrong place as well !!

LB

Dustin, LB,

Many thanks! Info greatly appreciated. Dustin I do have the 5th pole. I couldn't figure out how to use it. Thanks to you I just did!

Paul

littlebuddy

Dustin, LB,

Many thanks! Info greatly appreciated. Dustin I do have the 5th pole. I couldn't figure out how to use it. Thanks to you I just did!

Paul

You lucky so and so Paul !!! i can see a talk coming on !!! :D