MKI Mod 2 Illumination Grenade

Rifleman

Picked this up today.It's the only one I've run across.It looks like it may have been a partial dud.There is a paint line above the corrosion.It looks like the grenade started to burn,but didn't fully burn therefore leaving the paint un-burned on the upper part of the grenade.What are your thoughts on this one.

post-3433-0-23740200-1438470468.jpg

post-3433-0-86035500-1438470485.jpg

post-3433-0-78954400-1438470496.jpg

post-3433-0-79442400-1438470505.jpg

That's all there is. It's been fully fired. This type of grenade is loaded with the compound in the bottom section, the two halves of this Mk1 illumination grenade come apart when its fired, emitting the bright light.

The body is in great shape, besides being rusty from being fired.

However, the safety lever is wrong, that lever is for the M67/ M69 type grenades. Not sure about the bouchon I would have to see the bottom ignition stem to determine that.

I'm betting that bouchon is an M204 series.

All in all though it's a great find!

The bouchon is a good representative of an M372 and the safety lever can be easily changed out with a longer handled version from a older frag or smoke, of course the markings won't be correct, use some OD spray paint for a blank lever.

Finding an actual M372 lever will be a challenge.

Or if you wanted this to be WW2 version you could simply add that type of bouchon and lever.

Try inert-ord.net and Google search for more detailed info.... I'm just rambling things from the top of my head.

Cheers!

Gary C

• 2 weeks later...