Nebraska - If you don't go, you don't know

I live in Omaha and on many occasions over the years have traveled to Lincoln, the state capitol, via I-80.

Along the road side are those inevitable road signs for "Antique Mall". Usually I had somewhere to be, such as dropping my daughter off at the University of Nebraska, or rushing home to beat the coming thunderstorm or snowstorm.

But it was a nice day today, and my wife an I hit the road. The same Antique Malls that I had driven by for years turned out to be pretty decent, and stocked with all kinds of stuff. One even had liquor license and a full bar! (That has probably affected some buying decisions!) Even better, they had homemade chile made with some of the best beef ever, and a chicken vegetable soup that my wife loved.

Alas, most of these items were tagged by professional dealers and priced through the roof. But it was worth the look.

And as always, when we go to these places, I came home empty handed but the wife picked up some very nice and unusual Depression Glass.

(I did see more 40mm ammo cans today than I have seen lately! And legions of pod foot toy soldiers!)

Aardvark Antique Mall, outside of Lincoln

http://aardvarkantiquemall.com/

Platte Valley Antique Mall, halfway between Lincoln and Omaha

http://www.plattevalleyantiquemall.com/

And my normal haunt, closer to Omaha, The Brass Armadillo

http://brassarmadillo.com/shop/omaha-ne/

CC 4.jpg

This was probably the best item of the day; but a bit pricey for my tastes.

There were also some $50 decaled US helmets... looking a bit too good. I let them stay for someone else to treasure.

CC 5.jpg

Of course, there was also the strange and unusual...

So for all of those driving through the state on I-80, keep these in mind along with the Strategic Air and Space Museum. All worth a stop!

CC 7b.jpg

CC 8.jpg

Gil,

I agree, have been to all of them in my travels back and forth from Colorado to Noth Dakota

Keith

In Lincoln you could check out Vintage Village Antigue Mall at 24th and O Street. I have found some good stuff there. Also the building housed the Lincoln Standard Aircraft Company years ago. Not only did they build aircraft there but they taught the ground school for the Lincoln Standard Aviation School there, the most famous student was Charles Lindbergh. During WW II they had a mechanics school there complete with a Martin B-26 in the building, long gone. If I ran the mall I would have some old photos up showing the history of the building.

Of course, there was also the strange and unusual...

So for all of those driving through the state on I-80, keep these in mind along with the Strategic Air and Space Museum. All worth a stop!

Laudanum!

That is what Jimmy Stewart prescribed to John Wayne in the greatest John Wayne movie ever - The Shootist!

Laudanum!

That is what Jimmy Stewart prescribed to John Wayne in the greatest John Wayne movie ever - The Shootist!

I was waiting for someone to actually read the label! 48% Alcohol with granulated opium... of course, you will feel so much better!