Operation Firefly Korean War USAF Bullion Patch

GeneralLucas

GeneralLucas

I did not know that these patches existed, The patch is 6" by 3 1/2 inces wide and was taken off a jacket and sold to me, I would have liked to have obtained the jacket. There was an Operation Firefly during WW II dealing with the Japanese fire bombs coming into the U.S. but this is not related. It is a rare patch.

Click here: Art

post-1658-0-77926200-1438370744.jpg

That insignia is so rare its not funny.Operation Firefly was the use of specially modified airplane dropping up to 250 flare at night over enemy positions so the positions could be taken out by other aircraft.I owned one twenty some years ago and it took me months back then to figure out what it was.Congratulations on your find.The Firefly missions used PY-4B Privateer aircraft and the pilots came from VP-722 assigned to the Marine Aircraft Wing the planes were called lamplighters.The info is on the internet google Combat operations of the Korean War ground air and sea by Paul M. edwards its on page 88-89.Once again great great find.

GeneralLucas

Correction: This patch is not a USAF patch, The aircraft used were P4Y2 Privateers and the crews were from VP-772 assigned to the Marine Aircraft Wing to provide illumination for Marine Corps night fighters.

No one said it was USAF and in my haste I tapped in 722 instead of 772.Just a question if you knew all the info already why did you not put down what you knew with that great patch.Scotty

The eBay auction doesn't tell a thing about the patch yet he's asking $480!!!

I'm calling "scam" on this one.

Dale

Wait! Am I missing something. The patch is believed to have been assigned to a USN or USMC Privateer squadron, yet the document in the link is on the Air Force website??? And with a glaring typo in the document's insignia??!!!

Something doesn't add up here.

Dale

... or maybe there was no description in the auction because it had already been described in the initial postings of this thread!

Dale

GeneralLucas

Collecting militaria is the most interesting hobby in the world. I have been doing research on this patch, and it appears from October 1950 until the end of the Korean War, the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing was under the operational command of the 5th Air Force which explaines the Marine Corps role. Further, Operation Flyfly was also called "Lighning Bug" and "Old Lamplighter Of The Korean Hills". C-47s were converted to drop flares flown by the 5th Air Force, Naval or Marine aircraft could have been used also. Could any Marines worn this patch? Perhaps but it has to be listed as a USAF patch until more is learned. If only I could have obtained the jacket it came off of. The non-military dealer trashed it as it was in bad shape.