Question about CPO Dress White Uniform rating badges

ShooterMcGavin

ShooterMcGavin

I've seen across the internet now photos dating primarily from the pre-1970 period of sailors in the white jumper with the E-7 chief insignia on the sleeve. There was a still shot from the 1955 film Mister Roberts showing this as well, which I wrote off as a "movie goof" despite the fact you'd think Navy veteran Henry Fonda and the Director, Ford would have caught, but I am starting to see it elsewhere in real Navy photos. Was this ever a practice used by the U.S. Navy? It seems a bit dimeaning, considering the rating and how hard it is to advance to Chief.1970_31March_BootCampGraduation_SanDiego

Attached is one such photo of a graduation from recruit training, San Diego in 1970. The front row appear to all be petty officers, look at the one next to the CPO in khaki (on our left.)

Salvage Sailor

Recruit Chief Petty Officer - Temporary rank while in boot camp

RCPO

Those are the small size (2 inch wide) "apprentice petty officer" badges, which are only worn in training. Specialty mark is a figure-eight knot.

Edit: Like Salvage Sailor said!

Justin B.

Salvage Sailor

Yep, Wearing the small scale crows was common at RTC's on whites and blues. With the shift to the 'Salt and Pepper' uniform, it was more common to see the metal pin on crows used.

Prior to the mid-1970's change, USN boots were in 80 man infantry style companies with a company RCPO and platoon leaders as RPO1 (all temporary). There was also a Yeoman, Assistan Yeoman, and Guidon position. In 1977 the USN changed to a Port & Starboard arrangement utilizing more USN vernacular in the positions having dropped infantry drill and the use of rifles other than on the range.

In the photo posted, you have the Company Commander in the center flanked by his RCPO and 2 platoon leaders, the Yeoman, with the Guidon and flag bearer wearing the duty belts at the right and left end.

I'm sure Sigsaye and some of the other Recruit Company Commanders have some insight on the progression during the 1980's

There ya go.......