Thompson SMG Front Pistol Grip

Ronny67

Hey Ronny67,

Here is a original WWII training poster of the M1928A1 Thompson. A friend of a friend that is retired military armor gave me 10 or 15 original weapons training posters from WWII, Korea and Vietnam of the M1911A1, Garand , M14 and in the roll of them was this only one the M1928A1 poster.

post-7997-0-15917600-1438728219.jpg

Hey Ronny67,

Here is a original WWII training poster of the M1928A1 Thompson. A friend of a friend that is retired military armor gave me 10 or 15 original weapons training posters from WWII, Korea and Vietnam of the M1911A1, Garand , M14 and in the roll of them was this only one the M1928A1 poster.

Very cool. If you ever want to sell it, I would love to frame it and preserve it.

Thanks for sharing,

Ron

Thanks guy,

I saw a WWII British lend lease Thompson training poster on ebay sell for over $300 I do plan on having it framed up also in the upper right corner it shows the bullets types actual sizes the Dummy M1921 the Tracer M1 , ball M911 and .45 Cal also the case dates of FA 1936 and FA 1939

Well, I have not relinquished my search. I went over to the Thompson section at Machinegunboards and I got some great info from some really knowledgeable folks. I posted my wanted ad and I had people PMing me with info on how to spot fakes, what real ones cost... Great people, great board. Please go over there if you want to know anything Thompson.

Anyways... It turns out that Original Savage Grips are very scarce and rarely come up for sale. I have some great info now and I can wait for the right grip to come my way. But what about right now?

Repros of these grips from IMA or else where are just terrible. So I decided to make my own perfectly accurate grip for free.

I only had poplar on hand, and since its my favorite wood to work with I went ahead and used Poplar, not Walnut for this grip. I am not trying to fool anyone but just fill a hole while I wait for an Original. I took some photos as I carved out the grip.

I used power tools twice while making this: initial cut out with a band saw, and than a drill to drill the bolt hole.

The rest was by hand with small saws and lots of filing to get the shape perfect. It's silhouette matches originals better than any current repros....

I am currently finishing the wood to look walnut. I will post pictures of the finished grip.

First up: the rough initial cut. Notice my hand drawn 1:1 scale blueprints I made.

post-153625-0-76661000-1439156758.jpg

Almost done! This was the last picture I took, it most 80 percent done at this point. I still had a few hours of finish sanding and finish filing to get the contours perfect.

post-153625-0-57691700-1439157415.jpg

Whittling the top channel for the grip mount. Someone made off with my chisel set so I had to do this all with my favorite pen knife.... Took longer but looks great now.

I will post more pictures of the finished product once its finished. The principle blueprinting, cutting and carving took 2 days of semi-hard work.

Thanks for looking- R67

post-153625-0-85984200-1439157505.jpg

Here it is after staining. I used 3 different stains to match the color. In person it matches pretty good to my original wood on my TSMG. I just put the first coat of oil on the wood and it lookes even closer to the original walnut. Only real problem is the grain pattern.

post-153625-0-41124100-1439162742.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys. This way, at least my repro is still significant to me in some way. I still fully intend to source an original someday...

You did an outstanding job, the grip looks amazing! Some years ago I tried to built a vertical grip for my Savage 1928A1 too. With very poor results.

I just destroyed that grip trying to re-drill the hole for the screw. Time to make another, but out of Walnut this time...,

well it was cool while it lasted

• 3 weeks later...

I have not given up hope of finding an original Savage grip. Late last night someone posted on machinegunboards that an original grip showed up on a French website. It had a very low buy it now option and looked all original. I quickly made an account, and tried to purchase the grip. The seller did not ship outside of France! I then sent the seller a message telling him I would like to buy it and I would fully compensate him for all shipping fees. He got back to me later and told me someone had bought it right after he received my message. So close! The hunt continues....

• 1 month later...
Shakethetrees

I just checked this topic out tonight for the first time. At one time I had an original Tsmg front vertical grip that was stripped off of a gun that was issued to a machine shop during the war. The owner's family found it after he died and removed easily removable parts and mags. I live in a port city and small shops making any parts for the war effort were considered strategic businesses. The TSMG's were issued in case of invasion and many of them were never picked up.

All I was able to get were some mags and this grip.

It will take some searching as I just moved and things are really disorganized, but if I can find it I'll post photos and see if you're still interested.

• 2 years later...

Hi sabrejet,

have you tried to put it on? I tried it.

The grip needs to be shortened to fit. But the problem is the screw! Looks like the screw thread has not the same measurement as the SMG. I simply did not get it inside. Only with some pressure but this destroys the thread on the screw and presumably also the one on the SMG. Mine Grip and screw came from SOF. All grips selling as copies now look identical to mine and yours on the picture above. I think this comes from one manufacturer somewhere in China.

Greetings

• 4 years later...
On 9/25/2018 at 2:17 AM, MartyMcPouch said:

Hi sabrejet,

have you tried to put it on? I tried it.

The grip needs to be shortened to fit. But the problem is the screw! Looks like the screw thread has not the same measurement as the SMG. I simply did not get it inside. Only with some pressure but this destroys the thread on the screw and presumably also the one on the SMG. Mine Grip and screw came from SOF. All grips selling as copies now look identical to mine and yours on the picture above. I think this comes from one manufacturer somewhere in China.

Greetings

Hey late to the party! Just bought a Soldier of Fortune Vertical grip for my M1928A1 Deact and having to send it back as didn’t fit. Did you say your one is from S.O.F and fits? Cheers 

IMG_2017.jpeg