Thompson SMG Front Pistol Grip

Ronny67

I am having a bear of a time finding a few parts for my TSMG. I am looking for an Original WWII production Vertical front Pistol Grip. Does anyone know of a place to go for Originals or someone who would have one to sell? I may just make one myself if I can find a set of schematics for the original dimensions....

Thanks. If anyone has photos of vertical grips in use by US forces in WWII, please share!

post-153625-0-25444100-1438216035.jpg

i heard a surplus found boxes of stocks and grips not too long ago. may try to find them... sorry i dont have many details

blitzkrieg gsd

I would think you have a better chance of finding a new one like the one listed above. They were only used for a short while in the war years anyway. They switched over to the model without the front grip and a few other options pretty quick during the war. It's was a really expensive rifle to make so they tried to save money on the second model and that was one of the parts that was removed. They say the Marines had most of the early models with the vertical grips. Been told that once the Marines got involved in the jungle fighting they didn't like the vertical grip. They say it got in the way more then it was useful it would hang up on vegetation and on there gear and slow down the guy from getting his rifle in play.

Those reasons would make me think that original grips would be hard to come by. Plus how would you be able to tell if it was a war time grip or one from the civilian market.

I have considered a repro. I am after an original example.

I have some really good reasons to want one for a WWII display I am working on. I have noticed they are hard to find, so I am asking here. i have been trying to find one for a while. All the usual sites, gun broker, ebay... No dice. Repro is not an option, it never is for my collection.

Thanks for all the help.

post-153625-0-18596400-1438218486.jpg

It seems photos of US forces are few and far between. Although foreign forces using the 'older' model with the grip appears quite often.

Below:

Chinese troops in the late 30's

British troops

More British troops

German troops with a captured Thompson

More British troops...(this time commandos)

post-154969-0-08431000-1438218887.jpg

post-154969-0-92004900-1438218947.jpg

post-154969-0-51497400-1438219009.jpg

post-154969-0-90288100-1438219042.jpg

post-154969-0-38769200-1438219089.jpg

post-154969-0-50166100-1438219187.jpg

Here is a good photo of a marine (dog unit?) with a field modified (I'm assuming) gripped Thompson. (Not to go off the topic, but he has dog tag silencers made of gas mask hose on his USMC dog tags.

post-154969-0-91109300-1438219643.jpg

Another photo of what appears to be another modified Thompson in which the grip was attached to the horizontal foregrip. Seems to be common among dog units. :rolleyes:

post-154969-0-06878000-1438219846.jpg

blitzkrieg gsd

The Marines done that because the original ones were so fragile that they didn't last long in the field. That's another reason finding a original is going to be tuff to do. And how are you going to be able to tell it's a war time era piece? As far as I know they weren't arsenal marked or anything like that. I mite be wrong about that but it's something you need to look into before you spend good money on one.

Garandomatic

I have an 82n AB book somewhere, an this officer is pictured in it several times carrying a Thompson with no shoulder stock and a factory-made front pistol grip. Later in the book, he is pictured with a STG-44. Fella had a thing for "cool" weapons!

I have an 82n AB book somewhere, an this officer is pictured in it several times carrying a Thompson with no shoulder stock and a factory-made front pistol grip. Later in the book, he is pictured with a STG-44. Fella had a thing for "cool" weapons!

the 82nd certainly had a few odd variants...

post-125364-0-52365800-1438344283.jpgpost-125364-0-24387200-1438344282.jpg

blitzkrieg gsd

That 82nd soldier in the picture above is pretty innovative to say the least. The way he has his extra mags on his chest looks like a modern tac best set up. He had a good idea and proves the point that nothing is new.

I think there are several pics in the First Allied Airborne book by DeTrez. The dragoon soldiers seem to have a mix of weapons and uniforms. They went Hollywood early.

Another alternative to an original would be a high quality reproduction. We have a board member over on machinegunboards that makes them. Looks much better than the junk IMA sells. Also watch out for the really bad ones made by West Hurley as they took over production in the 70s and 80s. Originals are out there too but can be tough to find. Send me a PM if you want contact info and I can send you more details. We have a whole section on Thompsons.

Not to hijack the thread as I love this forum, but Thompson specific you'll get a much larger group to help out with your questions .

WWIIJake

What book is that photo from? I would live to pick up a copy to get a better version of that photo. Talked about a great photo.

Ron

Hey Ron, I have already considered woodsmith Dan Block if that is who you are thinking of. I just really want an original.

I am going to share some knowledge on the markings of original Thompson front grips. There were apparently 3 manufacturers: Colt, Remington, and Savage. Both Colt and Remington made high quality walnut grips and did not mark them. Savage picked up production with other Thompson parts when the government entered the game. Savage grips ARE marked in the grip channel. They are marked with an S like all other savage made TSMG parts. I have included photos of a savage grip and an unmarked grip. They were found on the internet.

post-153625-0-37402800-1438660434.jpg

Savage example. The first Savage contracts for the British lend lease program in 1940 all were equipped with these S marked vertical mounts. the Russians also got a few. The rest of the production would be the typical horizontal type.

post-153625-0-27887900-1438660485.jpg

Yup, Dan is the man. I do not believe Colt manufactured any wood. They contracted Remington to produce all the wood on the 15000 guns Auto Ordnace contracted To produce. A Colt era grip will run several hundred dollars plus and are very difficult to find. You should be able to get a 1928 grip off a Savage produced gun for less and would be your best bet if you insist on original.

You may try posting a WTB post on Sturmgewehr, Subguns, or the Thompson board on Machinegunboards to see if you can kick up someone wanting to sell off an extra.

I just checked Doug Richardsons site and he has two Colt era grips for 950 each if you really want one. ?

Ron

Good info. I am not looking for anything other than 1928 grip. It will be going on a M1928A1.

I have heard sketchy things about Doug Richerson, and I am not anxious to give him my business. Thanks for the info Ron.

Backtheattack

Interesting thread. Have a demilled Thompson in my collection, this is a part of info dealing with this gun, thank you for posting.