advice on good reads

gus

Hi.

I hope i am posting at the good place. If not please move or delete it.

I am curently in hospital for a pretty long time. I am looking to kill time by reading about americans history.

I am not interest by big strategy. I would really love some first hand account. People telling their stories.

I already read a lot about vietnam and ww2.

I am a huge fan of the Marine corps and also read a bit about it during ww1. I live in south of Belgium so it always catch my mind.

I am a huge fan of the wild west so a good read about that would be grea. As well as the civil war.

but really any period could catch my mind.

I hope it makes sense and my english isn t that bad. As i am still curently on drugs in hospital.

I ll search through the forum to find good books but i ld love your advices.

I ll be stuck here for at least two months. Not much to do but reads. If i can.

would be great if i can find them on Amazon as well

Thank you guys. The forum already helps me a lot. There s lots to learn and it s awesome.

BILL THE PATCH

Hi, hope you feeling well, also get well soon, try dog company, the boys of point du hoc. Very good book

If you haven't read it already, I would suggest Marine! by Burke Davis, the biography of Chesty Puller.

Thank you guys.

I already read both of them. Great books.

The one about chesty was the first book i read in english. It really push me up.

I am thinking about old west memoir right now. Let see what i ll find.

I ll get surgery on friday morning so i m hoping to find a couple to order before and start them when i ll wake up.

Thank you guys

Can't go wrong with "Son of the Morning Star" or one of my personal all time favorites, "Empire of the Summer Moon", about the rise and fall of the Comanche Nation. Fabulous book!

Thank you.

I ordered a bunch of them.

I got "hard tack and coffe" by john Billings

"Go west young man" by horace greeley

"Horse don t fly" by Libbt; wich i m pretty excited about as it mix both old west and ww1

And "indian war veterans" by greenes.

I ll see if i can order the one you are telling me about before the operation.

Thanks for all the help

I would recommend "Rescue At Los Banos." by Bruce Henderson It is a factual, well researched book detailing the liberation of a Japanese POW camp located in the Philippines, that was chock full of heroism and human interest stories recounting a true story, but until now, little known event at the close of the WWII.You will find it hard to put down.

Gus,

Have you read With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge yet? If not then you are really in for an experience! A highly recommended first hand account of a marine's combat experiences on Peleliu and Okinawa during WWII. Here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Breed-At-Peleliu-Okinawa/dp/0891419063/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438396983&sr=1-1&keywords=with+the+old+breed

Another great read - marines during the Vietnam war this time - is The Village by Bing West. A truly outstanding work and quite a page turner, even for those that have already read a lot on Vietnam.

http://www.amazon.com/Village-Bing-West/dp/0743457579/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438397285&sr=1-2&keywords=the+village

And have you read Marine Sniper by Charles Henderson? Carlos Hathcock was a marine sniper in Vietnam and the man is still a legend, even all these decades later! Once you read this book about Hathcock and his exploits you will find out why.

http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Sniper-93-Confirmed-Kills/dp/0425103552/ref=pd_sim_14_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Z42C58Y2WK3FV9FDSM9

And last but not least is some fiction this time: The Five Fingers by Gayle Rivers and James Hudson. A controversial book about a secret assassination mission during the Vietnam war. A good read. Extremely graphic and "not for the faint-hearted" (as one Amazon.com reviewer accurately remarked).

http://www.amazon.com/Five-Fingers-Gayle-Rivers/dp/0553255819/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438397812&sr=1-1&keywords=the+five+fingers+gayle+rivers

Good luck to you.

Hi and thank you to everybody;

I got my brain biopsie on friday morning and it went okay. Now we just have to wait and see. But it s good so far. It doesn t seem that i lose my mind haha

Thanks for all the advice.

I did read with the old bread. It s on my top list. I read it more then once. Sledge did an awesome job writing it!

I also read the one about carlos hatchock. Very interesting as well. A unique experience.

The others i don t know. I did hear about the author and that he was good but haven t got my hand on it yet. I ll read the one i have and keep ordering as soon as i m done with one.

I really appreciate the links. Thank you.

And thank you again everybody for all the though.

Say Gus,

If you don't feel like reading in bed while you recuperate, have you thought about watching movies? When I was in the hospital I brought along a laptop computer with headphones that I had laying on my lap (or on the tray that fits over one's abdomen for meals, etc) when I felt like watching DVD's or whatever. The headphones helped to drown out all of the ambient noise and sometimes I'd listen to music on CD's that was relaxing, too. Of course this sort of thing works much better when in a regular hospital room and not critical care or an ICU where the staff watches one like a hawk and takes vital signs every 15 minutes... it was a nice diversion though.

I hope that all goes well for you. B)

Hi.

Yes i have a computer with a few dvd. But so far i just don t feel like following a movie. Plus i feel reading is a bit more actif. Never hurt to make the brain work specially now.

I also wanted some book in english. I m belgian french talker. Just so i can keep practicing it and not forget everything. It s also often a nice mess after they translate some books.

I am off from intensive care and waiting for the result of the biopsie now.

I never had much big brain but so far even with that part off i don t see much difference haha

Thank you all for the helps on the reads and the though.

Sounds good, Gus. And by the way, your English is very good! My compliments, sir.

I know I am veering off topic a bit, but when you read about the experiences and the challenges that were met by those people in the books you read (struggles and achievements at times I am sure were against overwhelming, staggering odds), maybe that can help to serve as some inspiration for what you face now. For example, my worst of the worst days come no where near what men like Eugene Sledge faced during the hells of Peleliu and Okinawa, when they fought to stay alive and accomplish the mission... so to me they serve as an example.

Take good care my friend.

Thank you.

You are right. It really put everything on a level. I ve been thinking about it a lot lately.

There s always worst.

I ve been tired and in pain but i know lots of people got worst. Either in history; or the guy next room. Even the nurses who have to deal with a bunch of huge jerks.

actually i was thinking about sledge as well. I was in bed; dry with food. A hole in a head sure; but he would have most likeky give a lot for a couple days like that when he was in okinawa.

i m back home to rest a bit. We ll see in about a week what We will do.

It s a long trip; will change a lots in me most likely but so far i m good.

i just love "hard tack and coffee". It s a great read with lots of small details on their life.

Thank you everybody for the good advice.

Still in and out of the hospital; not sure what will happens.

But i got some good reads to kill the time.

Thanks

If you haven't already read it I'd recommend Flag of Our Fathers by James Bradley. I'm about finished reading it the second time through and it was just as good as the first time. I'd also recommend rereading good books you may already have. You'll pick up on details or themes you missed the first time through. Best wishes and prayers.

Hi;

I already read flags of our fathers. It is an awesome one as well.

I am glad to see that i have some pretty good taste in books haha.

I am off for about a month before the big deal. Trying to rest and enjoy life as much as i can with the drugs.

Everything that s happening to me lately is really changing my mind. It s some hard time; not the same as what those guys went through; but still hard. Makes me help understand what they went through.

Like the fears; standing in a plane before the jump over normandy; the batan s march, not knowing what will happen; alamo, keep standing just because; even with so few hopes and a lots of others example all over history.

i am not sure i expressed myself clearly and i hope it doesn t sound disrespectful. It s clear in my mind though.

i live pretty close from Bastogne. My goal is to get back on my feet to do the annual remember walk in december. It s gonna be tough but i ll do my best.

Thanks again guys. It has been really helpfull. I always enjoy this forum. It s full of great information all around. It keeps my mind up and busy wich is awesome.

This thread has a LONG list of military books which you may find interesting:

www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40467-what-are-you-currently-reading/

Sorry that I don't have much to suggest for books about the Old West. Best of luck in your recovery!!

Steve

I am currently reading The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan. Its an oldie, but a goodie. The narrative is well done and the style is similar to Walter Lord (who wrote several great WII books himself). Hope the recovery is going well!

Ryan s book is awesome. Easy to read and you really can uderstand and follow everything. He did an amazing and impressive work!

Make it easy to understand and learn what happened to thousands of people spread on hundreds miles in a couple days

I look into that thread pretty often. It looks like most of us read from ww2 to vietnam. With a bit of ww1 and newer conflict.

I ve been reading about those for a long time and just feel like looking for something else.

There s so much great books and so much to learn about all kind of history. It s a gold mine. The choice isn t always easy but what a pleasure to read a great one.

Thanks you all for the best wishes. The real big deal will be in about a month. I know it will change a lot in my mind and life. But well; one day after an other and we will see!

Hello Gus,

So, you are looking for something else besides WWII, Vietnam, etc? I know the feeling. While I don't know if the following books would interest you or not, they are great reads that I can heartily recommend:

Mouthful of Rocks by Christian Jennings. Described as "Modern Adventures in the French Foreign Legion" although not so modern anymore, as this book was first published, I believe, in 1989. I was drawn to the subject because I wanted to learn how their training differed from ours (here in the states) and to get an idea of what life was like in the Legion in a first-hand account. The result is a shattering, brutal story of unprecedented violence that also happens to be quite gripping and a real page-turner. My understanding is that the Legion is no longer as the author describes it but this is still a great book and does not disappoint. Quite the story!!

Agent Storm by Morten Storm. Described as "My Life Inside Al Qaeda." Storm was a Danish radicalized Muslim extremist that ended up switching sides and going to work for the CIA and other intelligence agencies as a double agent. Highly relevant to the ongoing global war on terrorism and another first hand account, this time of risky and extremely dangerous operations targeting (and eliminating) some of the worlds top high value terrorist targets. Also of interest as it details how such an intelligent person as the author could become so radicalized as to be well on the pathway to becoming a terrorist and murderer himself. An excellent book.

And last but not least, Sword Drill by David Epps. I don't suppose that you have ever heard of The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina. Which is understandable considering that you are in Europe. But The Citadel is a storied, elite military academy and this book is the story of the Junior Sword Drill, the elite within the elite. The Junior Sword Drill (called junior as they were in their junior year as cadets) unit existed for over 60 years, demanding incredible sacrifices from cadets aspiring to be members of the precision drill team that trained in strict secrecy using ever increasingly extreme measures. A fictional work based closely on fact, this is the story of what a cadet experienced in the trials of his life in order to become a member of Junior Sword Drill. Another highly recommended book.

Gus, what all of these books have in common is that they are first hand accounts of fighting on and enduring in the face of extreme adversity. They are also so well written that it is easy to lose oneself in the story, because it is as if the reader is right along side of the authors and experiencing the same things they are writing about. So it can be like being transported mentally out of your present circumstances and into another reality, even if only temporarily. And that can help, as can the adversity that these people had to overcome. Not that any of them are perfect, especially Christian Jennings of the Legion!

Such books have helped me during my own medical ordeals in these ways, and as my wife is scheduled for major surgery in the coming weeks, they will help again. Military subjects are not her interest but when I can keep my own morale and attitudes up by using them as examples, I can better help her with her own struggles. And despite what sort of medical prognosis you may have been given, a positive attitude provides a sort of mental strength that can really help in overcoming physical challenges. For the mind and the body are connected and do influence one another. Absolutely.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing! Hang in there! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I pray for your recovery, and hope that this reply will find you in good spirits and on the road to recovery. As a former member of La Legion Etrangere I would not recommend Christian Jennings' book to any one truly interested in reading about the French Foreign Legion. Christian Jennings was a weak-chinned little faggot who deserved everything he got. He was the type of sorry soldier that every professional army despises. The definitive work on La Legion is Doug Nash's THE FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION, which I made a small contribution to.

God bless you my friend.

Bill Brooks in the Heart of Dixie