USN blue stripes on ebay

max0073

USMC-RECON0321

Hello,

I was following this very nice helmet, without hope to win the bid ... but I did some research and for your information, Donald S.Hardy, SN 646 99 73, is listed as a CM3c on USS Ariel (AF-22) in september 1943.

I'm pretty sure he was in a construction battalion or something like that at that time ... no connection with D-Day however.

Regards, E

Are you sure on your service number? I found the same service number on Fold3 but listed as "Darby H. Carroll" 1945 USS Phoenix

post-33000-0-59193900-1438207835.jpg

Are you sure on your service number? I found the same service number on Fold3 but listed as "Darby H. Carroll" 1945 USS Phoenix

attachicon.gifDSCN5941a.jpg

Yes, I am ;) ... the muster roll list him as a passenger going to Davisville advance base depot, a naval construction battalion center specialized in training of CBs, hence my conclusion taht he was a CB, what is consistent with his CM3c rate also.

32662_10.jpg

Furthermore, Darby H Carroll SN seems to be 645 99 73 on muster rolls other than the USS Phoenix rolls ... probably a typo on these.

E

Anton, I didn't patrol eBay, my bid got cancelled on this item. So yes, I try my best every time this happens to me and I still don't like it when it happens to someone else playing by the rules. Fair is fair and what it all comes down to for me , is having a stand up reputation with my fellow collectors (because many are actually my friends) and the most enjoyable part of collecting for me is sharing my finds with the other collectors. That would be kind of hard to do if you're known for backdooring them with underhanded dealings. I don't make a living doing this and don't need to do "What ever it takes" to get my hands on an item, but I'm not the type to lay down and let someone step all over me either. If this upsets whoever had a deal going, well good, now its a 2 way street.

Troy

Troy,

I am just being lighthearted - not trying to upset you.

Don't take this stuff so seriously.

I don't like it when it happens to me either but it DOES happen to me.

It has happened to me a lot.

I have even posted items here on the forum and had other forum members backdoor them away from me.

That is even worse IMHO.

When I was new I thought everyone on the forum was my friend but I found out later some were watching my posts and then backdooring deals to get helmets away from me.

Unfortunately it is part of the collecting game.

I don't let it upset me anymore because frankly I expect it.

USMC-RECON0321

Yes, I am ;) ... the muster roll list him as a passenger going to Davisville advance base depot, a naval construction battalion center specialized in training of CBs, hence my conclusion taht he was a CB, what is consistent with his CM3c rate also.

32662_10.jpg

Furthermore, Darby H Carroll SN seems to be 645 99 73 on muster rolls other than the USS Phoenix rolls ... probably a typo on these.

E

Great. Yes I would agree you have the right one. Has to be a typo on the Phoenix Muster Roll, and we know there is no chance of 2 being given the same service numbers.

Thanks Troy

USMC-RECON0321

Anton, I didn't patrol eBay, my bid got cancelled on this item. So yes, I try my best every time this happens to me and I still don't like it when it happens to someone else playing by the rules. Fair is fair and what it all comes down to for me , is having a stand up reputation with my fellow collectors (because many are actually my friends) and the most enjoyable part of collecting for me is sharing my finds with the other collectors. That would be kind of hard to do if you're known for backdooring them with underhanded dealings. I don't make a living doing this and don't need to do "What ever it takes" to get my hands on an item, but I'm not the type to lay down and let someone step all over me either. If this upsets whoever had a deal going, well good, now its a 2 way street.

Troy

Troy,

I am just being lighthearted - not trying to upset you.

Don't take this stuff so seriously.

I don't like it when it happens to me either but it DOES happen to me.

It has happened to me a lot.

I have even posted items here on the forum and had other forum members backdoor them away from me.

That is even worse IMHO.

When I was new I thought everyone on the forum was my friend but I found out later some were watching my posts and then backdooring deals to get helmets away from me.

Unfortunately it is part of the collecting game.

I don't let it upset me anymore because frankly I expect it.

No problem, Could you PM the link to that T-shirt though? B)

USMC-RECON0321

32662_10.jpg

E

Well this is good news and could support the markings on the helmet so far. Now can anyone figure out his unit and history? I'm not having any luck on my end as of yet??

Troy

The WWII helmet collecting world, perhaps.

I am so glad I have focused more on WWI myself. the helmets are still affordable and very cool!

As for this discussion, I'm glad Troy convinced the seller to relist it. He can still do a best offer sale so, it doesn't have to go for $4,800.00 as his BIN says. Someone might offer him $4K and he'll be all over it like a fly on a turd.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

I am so glad I have focused more on WWI myself. the helmets are still affordable and very cool!

As for this discussion, I'm glad Troy convinced the seller to relist it. He can still do a best offer sale so, it doesn't have to go for $4,800.00 as his BIN says. Someone might offer him $4K and he'll be all over it like a fly on a turd.

I agree! I don't see the fascination with WW2 since everyone knows it is just a continuation of WW1 with a time out and some players switching sides! LOL :) Man, this WW2 is becoming a rich man's game! And, all WW1 US is junk....... Send it the WW1 guys way! Gotta step back and put all this in focus........ It's a hobby!

John

I agree! I don't see the fascination with WW2 since everyone knows it is just a continuation of WW1 with a time out and some players switching sides! LOL :) Man, this WW2 is becoming a rich man's game! And, all WW1 US is junk....... Send it the WW1 guys way! Gotta step back and put all this in focus........ It's a hobby!

John

Hello,

being a collector of both ww2 and ww1 items ... I have to disagree with that. Fine, identified or/and rare ww1 items reach high prices as their ww2 counterparts do.

OK, painted M1 helmets are a rich man's game ... but aren't USMC painted brodies too ?

Anyway, the less ww1 collectors, the happier we are B)

E

WW1 collectors drive Honda's and Volkswagens

'68 Volkswagen Beetle + More M1917's than M-1's. :)

1966ww2collector

I wonder if the seller is starting to have second thoughts. Time for more research may have killed his price. I am doubting he will get close to his original backdoor offers. We my see this one go to an auction again.

Any dealer willing to cancel my auction bids after receiving offers will get a big fat "middle finger" from me, and will never get any of my business. If they were wanting to make a cute little bidding war by taking "best offers" outside of the auction, they should have left the auction going!

eBay has every right to earn money from their fees. They pay for nation-wide advertising, they operate the site that receives the most web traffic for vintage collectibles by a WIDE margin compared to their competitors, and items listed there tend to sell for a higher price than anywhere else. If you aren't willing to pay their fees, don't use their service!

As I've always said, if I have to start ignoring morality just to get a good deal, I'll find something else to do.

If anyone wants to dig further into the original wearer, here's his obit (short..)

of Boca Raton, passed away at his home, Saturday, October 7, 1995 after a long illness. He served in the U.S. Navy and C B Battalion in WWII. He moved to Boca Raton from Bridgeport, CT., in 1969. Survived by his wife, Jo Hardy; sons, Richard (Ella) of AK, and Donald of Delray Beach, FL; one grandson and one great-grandson. There will be no services. Donations may be sent to Hospice by the Sea, Boca.
South Florida Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Tuesday, October 10, 1995

If anyone wants to dig further into the original wearer, here's his obit (short..)

of Boca Raton, passed away at his home, Saturday, October 7, 1995 after a long illness. He served in the U.S. Navy and C B Battalion in WWII. He moved to Boca Raton from Bridgeport, CT., in 1969. Survived by his wife, Jo Hardy; sons, Richard (Ella) of AK, and Donald of Delray Beach, FL; one grandson and one great-grandson. There will be no services. Donations may be sent to Hospice by the Sea, Boca.
South Florida Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Tuesday, October 10, 1995

Hi,

so his service with Seabees is confirmed ... we are far from a D-day vet however.

Still a very nice id'd helmet, but not worth $4800 :rolleyes:

E

• 2 weeks later...
stealthytyler

Now it has been relisted on eBay as a 'verified D-Day' helmet.

Would love to see his verification... just because there is a stripe around the helmet does not guarantee anything.

B24Liberator

The M1 Helmet, belonging to Donald Starbard Hardy USN BM2C, was verified after extensive research to find family members. Donald's 2nd wife, Joyce was located and I spoke with her, directly, on the phone. She is 79 years old, much younger than Donald when they married. Joyce recalled some of the service records of her late husband and was happy to share them with me. Earlier, Donald was stationed in Iceland, to build an airfield. He later was sent to England for the D-Day invasion, Initially stationed on an off-shore barge. Joyce places him firmly at this position during the D-Day attacks. Donald's activities, while in Normandy France, are accurate and verified by his wife, who was gracious enough to spend her time on the phone with me, discussing the details of his whereabouts during the invasion. Joyce has been very forthcoming and a true lady in giving her time to me in order to properly authenticate the history of this helmet.

The M1 Helmet, belonging to Donald Starbard Hardy USN BM2C, was verified after extensive research to find family members. Donald's 2nd wife, Joyce was located and I spoke with her, directly, on the phone. She is 79 years old, much younger than Donald when they married. Joyce recalled some of the service records of her late husband and was happy to share them with me. Earlier, Donald was stationed in Iceland, to build an airfield. He later was sent to England for the D-Day invasion, Initially stationed on an off-shore barge. Joyce places him firmly at this position during the D-Day attacks. Donald's activities, while in Normandy France, are accurate and verified by his wife, who was gracious enough to spend her time on the phone with me, discussing the details of his whereabouts during the invasion. Joyce has been very forthcoming and a true lady in giving her time to me in order to properly authenticate the history of this helmet.

Hello,

I think the best way to support his wife's souvenirs would be to ask for his personel records, a researcher should find them at the NPRC relatively easily. The cost is cheap compared to the potential increase of value.

Just my 2 cents.

E

B24Liberator

When Donald S. Hardy passed away what was left of his personal items related to his service in the WW2 were taken by his son from his first marriage. Joyce doesn't have any souvenirs from her late husband's wartime service. Joyce, in retrospect, wishes she had kept at least some of the items.