Vietnam War era Medical Unit patches

Patchcollector

Hi,

The 4th Casualty Staging Flight was an USAF unit stationed in Lakcland AFB in mid 60s. It was later redesignated as the 4th Aeromedical Staging Flight and was headquartered at Wilford Hall medical center at LacklandAFB in Texas.

During the Vietnam war you had "fixed" casualty Staging Facilities at Da Nang, Qui Nhon (25th CSFlt), Cam Ranh and Tan Son Nhut (21st Casualty Staging Flight) and some mobile casualty staging facilities maned by 903rd Aeromedical Evac Squadron when required by operations.

For exemple the 25th Casualty Staging Flight personnel began arriving In Qui Nhon on 7 February 1967. Main body arrived on 13
February 1967 This unit began processing patients on 25 March 1967. Physically located at the 85th Evacuatlon Hospital this unit services the 6th ROK Evacuation Hospital, the 67th and 85th Evacuation Hospitals.
System has been highly successful. Selected patients from 85th Evacuation Hospital and all patients from 6th ROK Evacuation Hospital were admitted to this facility the day prior to their scheduled out-of-country evacuation. Patients were then transported by USAF and Army buses to Qui Nhon Army Air Field for evacuation to 19th Casualty Staging Unit at Clark Air Base Philippines.

4th Casualty Staging flight is not listed in AFP 900-2 so it should never been deployed overseas

Best Croc

Patchcollector

It's hard to say how the patch came about,but I do know this;the patch is authentic from the war era,and was made incountry.My guess is that either someone from the unit was there and had some made or someone from the 4th could have had a friend incountry get them.

I've seen another design for this 4th CSF patch,it looked to be US made,but have never seen another like mine,Hopefully someone who can tell us more will find this thread and fill us in!

• 6 months later...

Hello, hope you don't mind me adding one to your thread...

The pocket hanger you have in your first post, the second one I didn't see in your pics, I picked the two up together, and really like them both...

post-2803-0-05770300-1490966750_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Patchcollector

Thanks pzjgr for adding your examples.By all means I encourage anyone that has some VN War era Med unit pieces to post them here,I really enjoy seeing them!

The 93rd pocket hanger,or "drop" is neat because it is US made.The 93rd has their own website,it can be seen here:

http://members.tripod.com/msg_fisher/93evac.html

Your 62nd Surgical piece is for a unit that was part of the 3rd Field Hospital at Saigon.

firefighter

And the backs...

I have the same exact 93rd pocket hanger as you, i think it even has the tape on the back.I bought mine right from the company in the late 70's, overstock?

• 2 months later...
Patchcollector

Awesome patches everyone,thanks for posting them on my thread!I've added some more examples to my collection over the last year or so.I'll try to get them posted as time permits.

firefighter

f0361d20fa6ccd82d87ae7d3dfe33eee.jpgfb916db37dd0f3daf58091cd3251084d.jpg

The 15th MED EVAC is a FAKE, which I figured but was confirmed on the forum. I also think the CHARGER is another fake, Both were picked up cheap.

itshistory

These are known authentic pieces for the Air Ambulance platoon of the 15th Med Bn, 1st Cav Div. Most often authentic ones are like these, authorized SSI that have been modified. There may be other makes out there but I have yet to see one.

IH

post-12336-0-49167200-1499290082_thumb.jpg

firefighter

These are known authentic pieces for the Air Ambulance platoon of the 15th Med Bn, 1st Cav Div. Most often authentic ones are like these, authorized SSI that have been modified. There may be other makes out there but I have yet to see one.

IH

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif 15 001.jpg

Those are nice.

I never really thought the one I had was original

But it was cheap and couldn't pass it up.

firefighter

USAF 33rd DISP

A nice early one.

Part of the 33rd Tac Gp which fell under the 2nd Air Div, see their insignia on the staff.

Full embroidered is Japanese made the other is Vietnam hand embroidered.Posted ImagePosted Image

firefighter

Was never stationed in Vietnam but took a lot or Evacs from there. They also were part of Operation Homecoming . PI made Posted Image

itshistory

The Charger Dustoff is an enigma. It sort of looks legit. And the story of "Charger Dustoff" is recorded on the Dustoff Association web site. So there really was a "Charger Dustoff. The member logging on to the site recounts the existence and describes the designs that were painted on the noses of the four Hueys they had. He doesn't mention patch being made but it may be something he never saw. The patch collection link on their website is inop so authenticating the patch is going to be difficult.

IH

firefighter

The Charger Dustoff is an enigma. It sort of looks legit. And the story of "Charger Dustoff" is recorded on the Dustoff Association web site. So there really was a "Charger Dustoff. The member logging on to the site recounts the existence and describes the designs that were painted on the noses of the four Hueys they had. He doesn't mention patch being made but it may be something he never saw. The patch collection link on their website is inop so authenticating the patch is going to be difficult.

IH

IH

Thank you for the information. I remember years ago there was a book on Uniforms of the Vietnam war, not Stanton. There was a uniform with that patch on it.Of course I don't remember the name of the book or who published it.