WWI Leather Cowl Flight Helmet w/ Paperwork, Photos, etc

HBT

I stopped by an estate sale this morning because there were old tools advertised.

I stumbled into this WWI leather RAF flight helmet with photos, paperwork, insignia, glasses, etc. The vet (William V. Matthews) was an NCO with the 224th Aero Squadron in England. Couldn't find much info online but I will check my books when I get home.

The helmet has "19" embroidered on the front. Note the "1" is styled like the union jack and the "9" is in Imperial German colors. Curious to find out what that denotes exactly.

post-235-0-74091100-1437764471.jpg

jayhawkhenry

Looks like Belgian colors on the number nine. Looks like a lot of embroidery souvenirs items I have seen. Could have been the start of "1918". Great items!

manayunkman

Looks like the outline of some kind of badge with the remnants of oxidation ( waxy green stuff ).

1919 perhaps ?

If you look closely, the Italian flag is on the "back" of the nine (green, white with shield, and red). Definitely a "allied" theme.

Very cool find!

I agree with what has been said about the embroidery. I have a very cool hanky with about the same style and color of embroidery at home if I remember correctly-it is 1919. I will try to post some pics tonight. Nice find here. Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...