MRAP in transit

El Bibliotecario

El Bibliotecario

During a recent road trip I photographed the attached vehicle at a Nevada truckstop. The driver of the truck hauling it said it was on its way to Texarkana Army Depot.

I've always wondered why the armor on the gun position has a gap on either side of the shield facing forward before the side armor begins. Can anyone enlighten me?

post-2215-0-20245200-1437705264.jpg

post-2215-0-15691700-1437705275.jpg

post-2215-0-56052600-1437705290.jpg

Spent lots of time in these. It's so you can maneuver the shield with the gun but not have to move the whole turret.

Early in the spring my cousin's husband posted a picture on Facebook of an MRAP in front of his shop where does sand blasting and painting. He said it was his new shop truck and the replies poured in asking where they could buy one. After a day or two he announced that it belonged to the Douglas County Sheriffs Department (Omaha, Nebraska) and they had him remove some rust and paint it, still tan. He had earlier repainted an MRAP for the Lincoln, Nebraska Police Department and they had him paint it black. It was used to take people out of a flooded neighborhood and people complained about the police having an armed car. Nice to have if you need one.

El Bibliotecario

Spent lots of time in these. It's so you can maneuver the shield with the gun but not have to move the whole turret.

That makes sense--thanks, and thanks to ww2Jake for the explanatory photo. Is the turret traverse powered or manual?

I love seeing things in transit. In the last year I have seen a trailered T-34 Mentor aircraft, and last week, I think it was an old M48 tank, and the week before that, brand new howitzers being transported, I think they were 155s. All on tractor trailers.

• 1 month later...