M1909 Cavalry Cartridge Belts and M1910 Mounted Cartridge Belts

US Victory Museum

Some of the cavalry and mounted cartridge belts (P1909 & P1910) still in
use at the time of the Mexican Punitive Expedition.

Belt #1a
Cavalry Cartridge Belt P1909 /c Saber mount.

post-1529-0-60124700-1437682328.jpg

world war I nerd

WOW! What a great set of rare early Army cartridge belts - all in superb condition as well. it looks as if you've accumulated mort of the 'Holy Grails' in respect to early Army web gear ...Thanks for sharing your belts with the rest of us.

Yes, that is a great batch of the most difficult belts to ever find. I have a "modified" 1909 mounted belt, but I would sure like to have the untouched belt in hand...at an affordable price that is. I must say that they seem to be coming up for sale pretty frequently lately...

• 8 months later...

Just a couple of addition notes. 1. The US Army never used a P (pattern of) designation but rather M (model of) so these should be the M1909 and M1910. 2. The M1909 was a "Cavalry" belt adopted by the Cavalry Board in 1909. The other belt was the "Mounted Belt" adopted by the Infantry Board in 1910. The terms "Cavalry" and "Mounted" are not synonymous when it comes to US Military equipment prior to 1917. Consequently the M1910 Mounted Belts were not officially used by the US Cavalry until required by orders in 1917 to simplify supply for the WW1 increase.

Chris Fischer

F-Troop

• 6 months later...

I love these belts. It is sometimes confusing on these belts and the designation. I agree the Model 1909 cavalry belt and the Model 1909(M) cavalry belt used by cavalry troops and the Model 1910 Mounted Infantry belt and Model 1910 (M) Mounted Infantry belt used by mounted infantry guys. The Army sent out instructions to units to cut off the revolver ammunition pouches and put the .45 ammunition pouch in the space, hence the (M) designation meaning modified. There are two varieties of the Model 1910 Mounted Infantry belt but can't dig up the thread that shows the difference. This one is the first type and if I am correct the other is the forerunner to the Model 1914 belt. Probably more than anyone wanted on this thread with really cool and tough to find belts. Looking at pic 2b was the saber chape removed from between the second and third pockets. the rivets look rough in the picture.

Sorry if I seem picky these are awesome belts and your stuff is always top notch. LOVE LOVE LOVE these belts.

Bob

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Looking through old posts I Just re read this post and wondered which belt would be scarcer, the mounted Inf of the cav belt. Just curious as I just put a mounted Inf one I had for years up for sale on the F/S thread section here.